Twenty Five

Mom and dad had left a few minutes ago.

The hospital bed was quite comfy. The hospital room was spacious as there was now Steven and me in here. I looked at his bed. He was sleeping. Nothing out of the norm.

Today was terrible. Steven woke up yes, but he didn't really know who we are, and he's sleeping again. What really changed?

I groaned and I rested my head back into the soft pillow and closed my eyes. Welcome glorious sleep.

------------------------------

"Mel...." a shake voice said and woke me up.

"Hmmmm?" I said sleepily. I looked around me. I glanced at my digital watch.

5:30 am.

Damn. It is so early. I closed my eyes again. Hoping sleep would take over.

"Mel..." the voice repeated.

My eyes shot open and I sat up.

"Steven?" I asked wide eyed.

"Is... is that you Mel?" He asked. I sat there on the bed for a moment dumbfolded. He remembered me. Suddenly I came out of my daze, and I threw off my sheets. I ran over to his bed. I hugged him tightly. I could feel his arms wrap around me. I felt so safe. So happy. He is okay. Everything is going to be okay.

"Mel, could you tell me where I am, and what am I doing here?" Steven asked.

"You had an accident. A car crash. You were in the passenger seat and a truck hit you head on. Do you remember any of it?" I asked him, getting lost in those eyes of his, once more. I will never ever get tired of them.

"I remember that I felt the hit. It all happened in slow motion. I also remember screaming in pain, and passing out because of it. However, everything after that is a blur. However, I also remember that someone kept talking to me. I don't know who it was, but I do remember that they were shouting at me, quiet loudly I might add." He said.

A feeling of guilt passed through me, but was quickly squashed by the fact that he had heard me. He actually heard me.

"That was me. I talked to you almost  everyday. I got so mad at you, you were just lying there, while I was struggling to somehow make sure that would be alive. That I would be able to see those bright blue eyes again." It was then that the smile I had come to know so well lightened his feature.

"Could you stand up for me?" He asked out of the blue.

"Ummm... okay?" I said confused, but I stood out anyway. His mouth dropped open.

"What?" I asked. Then I looked down. I mouthed on 'o'.

I had my cheerleader uniform on.

"What on earth have you been up to Melissa?" He asked, smiling widely. 

I told him everything, from me becoming a cheerleader, to me becoming the Homecoming Princess. I told him about our talks. I left the Cam thing out, the deputy captain thing too, and Jess. There is only so much a person can take.

"So did you also bring all these things?" He asks, gesturing to all the many things I had brought over the past three weeks.

"Yeah, well apart from the flowers and balloons. I brought the football and the boots, to remind you of who you are. You are a fighter Steven. You don't give up. Secondly, the lightsaber was to help you fight off all the coma monsters, the crown was the one that you had won from the Homecoming dance, and finally, all the pictures were to remind you that you have a lot of people who love you, and these all all the reasons why you should stay with us."

Steven smiled widely at me. "I love you Melissa." He hugged me once more. I feel so happy and safe there.