Twenty Four

I walked back up to the bed to make sure that I was really right. He was still the same as he ever was. I sighed, and more silent tears fell. I wrapped my fingers in his and sat on the chair.

"How could you give me false how like that? How could you let me down?" I whisper, more tears silently forming. I looked at the window.

Something started to moan. I looked down at the hospital bed. Hope filled my bed once more. I tried to push it away, but this time, it wouldn't leave.

Suddenly, a nurse burst through the door and ran up to the side of the bed.

"What is happening?" I asked nervously.

"He... He is..." She said slowly.

Suddenly, I saw a bright pair of blue eyes. I typed in the number into my phone.

It rang and finally, " Melissa, is there a problem?" Dad asked.

"Can... Can you put the phone on speaker so mom can hear?" I asked.

I heard a few beeps.

"Okay. Done." Said dad.

"Hey hon!" Mom shouted in the background.

"How far away are you from the hospital?" I asked quickly.

"After five minutes away, why?" My Dad asked.

"Er.. Well, Steven. Is. Awake." I say slowly, still trying to get myself to believe it.

On the other side of the line, all I heard was silence. All of a sudden, I hear a car screech. Car doors slamming. The door burst open and a 'I have just been pulled from the bush backwards' looking mom, and a 'I just got attacked by a pack of wolves' dad.

They legit bolted up to the side of Steven, and put their hands on him.

"Listen, we don't know what his mental situation is. He hasn't spoken yet." The nurse said. Steven's blue eyes were shifting from Dad, to Mom to me, back to the nurse and he repeated the cycle again.

She paged the doctor. The door burst open. What is it with people and bursting door open? The doctor ran in. He started talking medical gibberish to mom and dad. Being the educated people they are, they nodded. I was just looking at Steven. His eyes landed on me. His face blank and void of emotion.

The nurse started taking the rest of tubes off Steven. A lot of them were covering his face.

I gasped, and I am pretty sure that I heard mom yelp. Steven had a bright red scar that ran across his cheek, and ended on his nose.

He had stiches in some of the places, which would be bound to scar.

He now had nothing on his face. Apart from the scar, of course. And um... well, the stitches. Steven looked at us with a blank expression. My heart started to beat faster, and faster and faster.

"Who--where---are---??" Steven tried to say, he sucked in a deep breath, it was like when he was talking, he ran out of breath. He looked like he was in pain with every word he spoke.

"Steven, can you say something honey?" Mom said.

"Who...Who are you?" Steven replied. No.My heart sank. Please. Please no.

"Where am I?" Steven asked.

This time dad spoke.

"You are in the hospital. We had a car accident." Dad said.

I looked over to Steven's bed. He started shaking violently, he moaned and his head rolled back.

"What's wrong?" Mom shouted.

"Calm done Amelia." My dad shouted.

"He is going into shock." The doctor said, "Please, give him space!" Steven started shaking violently, a seizure taking control of his body. It was so scary. I stared at Steven. No. No. No. Please no.

Then, it all suddenly stopped. Silence. Mom looked at Steven, and dad looked at me. I looked to Steven. His eyes were closed again. No...

Suddenly, my head started to pound and a wave of fatigue rushed over me. I closed my eyes and welcomed the darkness.

"3...2...1... GO!" Steven shouted.

We were off. Trying to beat each other.

"I am gonna win!" I screamed.

"Haha! In your dreams Mel." He shouted back at me.

I reached for the last branch of the tree, and climbed into the tree house.. I sat up, and waited.

"Haha! Stevie, I beat you!" I shouted.

A few minutes later, Steven climbed into the tree house breathless.

"You are lucky that the monsters didn't catch you. Now we can kick those monsters butts!" I shouted back at him.

"Okay, you scout where they are and I will shoot them. " Steven ordered. I pouted.

"No fair!" I shouted back.

"Fine, we both scout, and then both kill!" Steven shouted, "Now the city can wait any longer. Time to kick butt."

"Mel, Melissa..." a voice awoke me from my lovely memory.

"Mmm..." I replied

"You okay? You passed out." Dad asked.

"How long was I gone out for?" I replied.

"4 hours." Mom said.

"Seriously?" I said and I realised that I was lying on a hospital bed.

"Honey, you are going to stay in the hospital for tonight. They are worried that you might have another episode. Your body is too fatigued from all the stress. They will check to see if you are okay. We don't want another fainting episode." My mom told me.

"Okay." I groaned.

"You can sleep in Steven's hospital room. They have put another bed in there." My mom said smiling.

"Fine by me." I said and grinned.