Chapter Seven: The Pentagon Should Really Consider Updating

~Christina’s Point of View~

I knew when Emily said we should split up that I'd end up losing her and wandering around like an idiot all by myself. I couldn't see her mom and I was about to leave the square without her when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to face David, the boy from Iceland. I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw his beautiful deep blue eyes that made me want to go into the deep sea and never come back. He smiled at me shyly and I blushed.

“I'm sorry, you looked like someone I know. Quite silly of me actually, she's not even in Spain right now.” His accent was Australian now and it made me melt.

“Oh, that's quite alright.” I don't know why I sounded slightly British/Australian but whenever I hear peoples accents I always seem to pick them up.

“Where are you from? I'm from Australia.”

“I lived in England until I was eight.” Why was I lying? It didn't feel right when I lied to him.

“That's great. Where do you live now?”

“New England.” we both started to laugh a little bit and the conversation turned casual.

He stretched his hand out to me and said “I'm Cole. And you are..?”

“I'm Madison.” It's amazing how easily you can make up a new identity, even though I didn't want to. David or Cole, he always seemed so genuine and honest with me. I wish I could be honest with him.

“Is there any particular reason you are in Spain, Madison?”

“Vacation with my family.” Lies, lies and more lies.

“Me too!” We smiled at each other more and I got lost in his eyes for the billionth time. It seemed minutes before either of us talked, but I enjoyed the comfortable silence. Around us the sprinkling picked up into a downpour and he broke the silence.

“Want to go inside and get a bite to eat?”

“I'd love to.” he smiled and put his hand on my back and led me into a pastry shop full of cookies and cakes, anything sweet. He walked straight up the counter and began to look through the glass and at the different flavors of ice cream. He looked up to to the worker and pointed to the mint chocolate chip ice cream and said “Two scoops of that please.” and then looked to me to also order.

“I'll have two scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough.”

David paid for me and we took our ice cream and decided to eat it on the picnic tables outside since the rain had cleared up.

“I love the smell of fresh rain.” I said as we sat down on a bench that was covered with an umbrella.

“Me too. It's got to be on of my top ten smells.”

“What's the other nine?”

“Just to think of a few, probably fresh bakes apple pie, hot chocolate, oranges, and definitely bacon.” I laughed quietly. “You?”

“Um, grinding coffee, fresh cut grass, old books, umm peppermint, fabric softener, and I absolutely love vanilla.”

“You know, I once heard you can tell a lot about a person from what they think smells good.”

“Really?”

“Nope. And I've also heard that 42% of statistics are made up on the spot.” we both laughed for an eternity. David was good at making me laugh at everything he said. We sat talking for a while and finishing our ice cream. I laughed more than I have with anyone other than Emily. I was smiling so much my face was beginning to hurt, but I didn't care.