Chapter Forty-Seven: It's Finally The End

There I was, pacing in the middle of my living room. It felt like deja vu, Dylan sitting on the couch and geting annoyed with me as I paced the room. My nervousness was imploding on itself, stillness was no longer possible. Just minutes ago Christina had texted me, alerting me to the fact that they had landed in Washington and were taking a ride home. I'd rushed around the house, making it presentable as if it wasn't already. And then going over Dylan and I's plan. He would hide behind the corner until it was safe to come out. If my family walked in our house with him sitting on the couch, all hell would break loose.

“Em, calm down.” he tried to order me.

My gaze shifted from the floor to out the window just as the bumper of a car started to emerge down our service road. Without hesitation, I knew it was them.

“Go, go!” I ushered Dylan, pulling him off the couch quickly. He found my spastic-ness quite humorous, laughing as I pushed him into the kitchen and out of sight from the living room. “Shh!” I scolded him, earning even more stifled giggles. I shushed him again, he kissed me quickly on the cheek before I ran through the house and out the front door, the car just coming to a stop.

Whatever I was expecting, it was fulfilled when Christina came charging at me, not even shutting the car door behind her. She knocked the wind out of me, almost tackling me to the ground with her hug. Her long brown hair was even longer, her face paler than I remembered. But she was the same in every way that mattered.

“I missed you so much!” she squealed.

“More than I love cookie dough?” I jokingly asked.

“Even more than that!” she laughed back, eventually letting me out of her death grip only to be put in Sammy's.

I wasn't expecting her to miss me so much, seeing as she usually acted as if I was just a fly on a wall when we were home together. Time changed everything I think, it brought out the best in us.

“I swear, if you ever run away again I will replace your arms with chicken legs and watch while the fat kids chase you around for a bite.” Well, maybe not everything.

I laughed loudly at her and tried to maintain a serious face. When she let go of me I saw my mom, waiting politely beside the car, waiting for me. I rushed over, enjoying the sensation of her arms wrapping around me again. She looked disheveled, but better than I anticipated. I felt a tear cascade onto me, I couldn't hold mine in any longer. It seemed silly to cry in a moment that should have been so happy.

“Where's Brit?” I mumbled, looking around me as I stepped away from my mother.

“Over here, trying to be the responsible one and deal with the luggage.” I heard her call from around the back of the car, slightly annoyed but still happy at the same time. I ran around to find her arms already open, baggage at her feet. I hugged her tightly, and then quickly started to help with their bags, finding mine among them.

As they stepped up to the house, I looked back to find them gazing up at it, like it was a mirage about to disappear. Slowly, they came in behind me, I stopped them in the living room, putting down the bags and motioning for them to sit down on the couches and recliners. A few gave me curious looks, my mother however, seemed as if she'd been hoping this would happen. Christina sat closest to me, staring at me curiously.

I smiled broadly, swallowing my nervousness. Just seeing them in front of me again gave me some courage. “I'm sure you're all wanting an explanation.” I muttered, receiving quick nods from everyone. “Well, it's a long story, one that I can't tell alone.” I started, they looked more confused then ever. “Because, I wasn't alone all this time. Someone was with me, sticking by my side and keeping me alive. He helped me in ways I can't even describe, assisting on the mission and making it a success.” I was stopped by a chorus of things like 'Mission?!', and shouts of confusion. Of course, Christina was the one to yell 'He!!!?', I swear she has selective hearing.