Chapter Twenty-Three: I'm Not Ready For Goodbye

With all the laughing, fun, and games over after the mission that day, it was time to say goodbye and none of us were ready. I could tell that Brit was trying to act all grown up and strong but I saw through it all.

We all helped her and carried all of her large trunks and suitcases to the big taxi she was taking to her new apartment. I wanted to see where she would be living, but I also didn't want to just prolong the inevitable goodbye. I was dragging possibly the heaviest one behind me through the airport and trying to think about anything else other than not seeing my sister for months at a time.

Brit was 22 and I should've seen this kind of thing coming. In normal families the siblings go off to college at 18 and that is when all the goodbyes are said. The sibling leaves, makes a life somewhere else, and will gradually not come back home as often. That kind of thing is normal. But Brit has been living with me my entire life and four years longer than she would in a normal family. But, as I have said before, my family is not normal.

“Do you have all the equipment?” my mother asked with brimming anxiety.

“Got it all.” Brit responded.

“What about clothes?”

“I packed it all two days ago.”

“Cell phone?”

“Yes.”

“Towels?'

“Yes.”

“Vacuum cleaner?”

“Mom, I have everything I need.”

“I just wanted to be sure!” mom defended herself.

“Mom?”

“Yes, what is it honey?” she was frantic.

“I need to go now...” she turned and pointed to taxi waiting on the sidewalk, all loaded up. If it wasn't for the obvious goodbye scene I'm pretty sure the taxi driver would've been honking.

“Oh, right.” She embraced Brit. “Goodbye, Brittany. Remember to brush your teeth.”

She laughed at her softly as they embraced. “I will mom. And I love you, too.” At that my mom squeezed a little tighter and held on a little longer. She had a some trouble expressing her feelings, obviously.

Sammy attacked Brit next. I was always a somewhat jealous of the closeness between Sammy and Brit. Christina was my sister and best friend just like Sammy and Brit were for each other. They may not always show it but they are milk and Oreos, until they get in one of their major fights. In the end, all is forgiven, though. Sammy was whispering something and Brit's ear that made her laugh. Their goodbye was humor filled, Sammy wasn't exactly the most touchy feely person in the world, either. She held on to Brit just as long as mom did and then it was my turn to try to say goodbye to her.

She was the one that embraced me, very tightly and she almost crushed me at first.

“I'm gonna miss you little sis.” she whispered softly in my ear.

“I'm gonna miss you, too.” my voice choked a little bit, I am horrible at goodbyes.

“Don't cry Em, I know it sounds like really cliché but I will always be in your heart. And, well, in your phone contacts.” I laughed at that. “When you miss me, just call.”

“I will.”

She stepped back and gave me a quick once over.

“Gosh, I remember when you were just a little runt. Now look at you!”