Prologue

It's funny, how for centuries artists, poets and normal citizens alike gushed and fawned over the wondrous spectacles of the Earth. We worshipped animals, heralded spectacular sights as signs from our Godly superiors, and vowed to protect and sustain.

If we were so riveted in the spectrum of nature, why did we stand, petrified, as we became corrupted by idle technology, stupefied by glowing screens, stolen from life as we know it from enemies right under our noses?

Why did we relent to this obvious threat when we did have the capability to change, and prevent our peaceful hierarchy from being razed? It was the consequence of this stupidity that condemned us all to slaves, servants of a towering race of robots and data.

As the domination of this new form of entertainment commenced, people started to stay indoors, the outside world blocked by ominous veils.

Soon, the upkeep of nature diminished, usurped by this false sense of security cradled by our fingertips. Our minds were clouded, doors gradually locked, leaves and vegetation floating dejectedly to the ground, ashen and decayed.

Nobody bothered resolving pollution. Nobody bothered to stop climate change. Nobody bothered to change.

Slowly, the world decomposed, even protesters were fixated by the latest devices produced by billionaires.

Whilst this occurred, technology developed minds of their own, creating a conscience for power and greed. Whilst we took selfies and photographs, they analysed our faces, as well as scrutinising the terrain. Whilst we shared and uploaded onto various forms of social media, they recorded our habits, discovering popularity and celebrity tiers. Whilst neurologists studied brain scans and their patients, they observed, pioneering our anatomy, ascertaining our pathways, pinpointing our weaknesses.

They manipulated, dominated, high-jacked our lives whilst the majority of the population were rendered blissfully unaware.

Now, only a few remain free; I'm one of them.

It's us against them, the meek underdogs versus the reigning champions, champions equipped with every speck of information available in the entire history of the world. Realistically, it's a lost cause. We're only petty fraudsters, immune to the temptation because we tried to strive with the new abundance of technology, before realising we could never compete with these thriving rivals.

We live in mere fear, unable to access any computerised knowledge for fear of being discovered. We're convicted to the old ways of living, our specialists abilities unable to be used. It puts a very ironic twist on the definition of being free.

But we have hope.

This is our story.