Chapter Five

Robyn stuck to her word.

Indeed - I was trained and trained constantly for the next few weeks, seemingly disregarding the rules of sleep and the typical extent of bodily functions. I had shot so many pellets the target looked like a waffle, yet a waffle that got run over a truck multiple times. My shoulders and hands constantly ached, my fingertips appearing calloused. My brain was bursting with new information, yet I was still hesitant to properly apply any of this dangerous mind-set, although I knew it would be useful in pressing circumstances.

However, Robyn was indeed a good teacher. My accuracy in shooting had developed well, and sometimes I could hit the centre. My timing of the shots had improved also, and I was knowledgable of different gun types, the damage each one could muster and how to assemble and engage each one.

I now knew how to use a dagger and various throwing knives, the rotation of the arm swing one must obtain in order to throw it far, where to stab in order to kill quickly and efficiently, where to penetrate to just wound.

I was given the crash-course of simple military tactics and what to do in different situations; I felt like an army recruit, yet this war was much more outnumbered, and the company I was in consisted of a meagre three other people.

The odds once again alarmed me, and I wished I could share the other's assertive states of minds, though I did suspect their confidence wasn't always intact.

As well as this, my ability to run had been tested, and for a whole two hours I had to just run up and down the tunnel, improving my time until Robyn was satisfied with my average speed.

The training had taken a toll on me. Obviously, I was permanently exhausted, but this helped in a way as it prohibited any nightmares from leering in my brain.

Whenever I endeavoured to sleep my mind was just too knackered to conjure up any horrifying mirages, although I still woke up tired the next day. I noticed new muscle developing on my arms and legs, which was a new experience for someone like me. It was surprisingly satisfying!

On the contrary, Robyn still constantly made snide remarks about me, yet I had learned to either ignore them, or channel them into my current activity, using the hateful jibes as motivation to do well.

Today, Chris and I were going above ground, planning to go scavenging for food and other useful condiments.

Undoubtedly, I was slightly exhilarated by this daring endeavour, though I had heard in the places we would go in it was a lot more dangerous. This shocked me. When I ran from my house, I had encountered no weaponry or anything that could do any harm. Then again, everything comes as a surprise down here. I'm still not wired to the whole idea of being a freedom fighter. When the occasion aroused, could I really shoot someone, kill someone?

I have a feeling hitting a target and hitting a person are different, the latter scarring you with guilt.

In order to prepare, Jay led me to the side of training room where all the supplies were kept, handing me a pocketed belt, three throwing knifes, a dagger and a simple pistol, as well as extra bullets.

Helpfully, he told me where each thing was meant to go, and I meticulously followed his expert orders. Over the weeks I had grown confident talking to my companions, and I noticed their personalities had a stark contrast.

Chris was the Leader; efficient and stern, tactical in what he does and smart in his decisions.

Jay was quiet, and observer, the silent helper that liked to know the exact situation and what to do.

Robyn was fire: unpredictable, mean, passionate and good with weapons, opinionated and witty.

Where did I fit in? I was Tempest: the weird girl that Chris picked up. Would I ever achieve a better label than that?

Having seen my grimacing, flustered face Jay tilted his head. "Anything wrong?" He asked, starting to walk back in the direction we came, going to meet Chris.

"I just hope I can be useful." I replied, striding forward to overtake him. I knew where to go now.

--------------------

The azure sky beamed down on me, the blue vista uninterrupted by any heavy clouds, the horizon free of any negativity.

I had forgotten how warm the sun felt on your skin, washing over you with an ethereal glow, welcoming you in its humid embrace. Looking around in wonder, I let the brief beauty dismiss the pessimistic attitude in my mind, cleansing my brain with the fulfilling light of day.

The serenity was fractured, however, when Chris spoke beside me, appearing from the tube tunnel. "Don't get used to it. We'll be going back down in an hour or two." He muttered, squinting his eyes against the glare of the sun.

I didn't reply, just indicated he could lead the way.

The more we progressed, the more the terrain diminished. The grass wasn't green, but a sickly rendition of yellow, shrivelled and cowering under the too-hot rays of the sun. The trees were nearly non-existent, only the stumps remaining, derelict reminders that this world was beyond repair. It was sad, knowing this could of been stopped, yet human kind did nothing. We did nothing.

Chris kept low so I did to, very aware of the multiple weapons held by my waist. "We're going to the place I normally go to. It's been stocked for years. We hid all the content in the back so no one could get to it except us; it's been sustaining us for months."

I nodded as an indication I had heard and continued on, making sure my eyes didn't linger on the ashen, decaying grass.

Soon, we crested a small rise. Peering over the edge, I could see the vague outline of a building, supposedly the establishment we had to go to. Chris jerked his head in that direction, confirming my thoughts. Then, we progressed down toward it, our bodies flat against the decomposing landscape.

Admittedly, this was rather fun, yet I had this sick feeling in my stomach. The world around us was barren and mangled, and we were crawling down a hill in order to steal from an abandoned shop! This was madness!

Gritting my teeth to suppress any outbursts, the land levelled out and we pressed against the sides of buildings, a slight breeze whisking my hair to and fro. Chris went first as we neared our destination, the building just around the corner--

A curse could be heard as Chris laid his eyes upon where we were meant to get food. I looked.

There was no building. Just a smoking husk of rubble. I heard a mechanic whir. There was a automated gun right behind us, and it was aiming straight at our heads.