Chapter Six

I felt the breath hitch in my throat, my heart increasing in speed as Chris and I stared at the weapon aimed at us, feeling like a rabbit trapped in the headlights. Blood roared in my eyes, vision blurring slightly with immense fear.

"You have been convicted of treason against the hierarchy of this world. Hand over yourselves, your accomplices and all supplies or we will resort to killing you."

The monotone voice resonated clearing in my eardrums. Killing you. I was going to die. Right here, right now, for I knew Chris would never abort the mission. Was I a coward for partially wishing he would? I just wanted to leave, retreat back into the relative safety of the tunnel. The tunnel had become a welcoming establishment to me, and I yearned for its putrid embrace, the echoing sound of footsteps wherever you went, reminding you that you weren't alone.

Over the last few weeks I had stayed within the confines of my parent's house, I craved steady companionship, a shoulder to lean on. Yet no one to fulfil my needs was there.

Truly, I was isolated from any kind souls, for everyone else was corrupted, tainted by these brainwashing cretins. But once I had stumbled upon Robyn, Jay and Chris, I had been repaired slightly. Of course, they didn't trust me - yet - and I was constantly sneered at, but I still found it a welcome companionship.

Thankfully, my nightmares had ceased for the time being, I was stronger, more knowledgable of the current world.

I disliked the fact this new journey would remain incomplete, the memories forged dying along with us. Would our mission be completed by more cunning refugees? Or would the world fall into an abyss of no return, dying, dying...

My hands started shaking, my eyes meandering to the floor, to the sky, to Chris, anything but the gun. "I'm afraid that isn't possible." Chris said curtly. He sounded headstrong, yet I could see the dread brimming in his demeanour.

"Failure to abide by our demands has resulted us to avert to the latter option: death." The words were like shards of glass, cutting my ears with crystalline glee. Gulping, I raised my head to stare at the mechanical weapon that would obliterate me, summoning all courage so I at least could go out strong. Would my parents be proud? Were the Freedom Fighters proud? I wanted to survive, but I knew that was impossible. We were cornered.

Hearing the whir increase in sound, I clenched my fists. A click. A bang.

I dived, taking Chris with me. The strong boom of a shell emitted from behind us; debris scattered over our bodies. I felt pain strike my back from where a shard of brick struck me, but I was alive.

Realising he too was still breathing, Chris scrambled to his feet, yanking me with him with desperate force. "Run!" He yelled. I complied, urging my legs to function faster as I made my way back the way we had came, my feet hitting the ground with dull thwacks.

Another load of ammunition struck at my heels, throwing me forward with agitated force. More pain sliced down my ankles and back, causing me to cry out. Unable to properly walk, I pulled myself up over a ridge, collapsing to safety on the other side.

Peering over the edge of the grassy solitude, I saw Chris heave a gun on his shoulder from around the corner, quickly ducking as a shell hit the side of the building.

He was momentarily obscured in the cloud of dust and debris that floated over him, but after a few seconds he was once again visible, crimson residue flowing from a cut on his head.

From my current position I felt cowardly, leaving him to do all the work whilst I was safe. But what could I do? I was still in agony; I could feel blood ooze freely from multiple wounds. I felt lightheaded and faint, my mind hazy, unable to conjure any relational thoughts other than the hope my companion would return safely, and would escape the danger we were currently caught in.

Rapid gunfire emitted from where Chris stood, the sound making my ears ring as he repeatedly fired at the gun, puncturing its side, hopefully causing enough damage for it to malfunction.

More holes appeared in its aluminium side; smoke began to pore profusely from the top, enveloping the thing in a smoky blur. Taking the opportunity, Chris ran toward me, leaping into safety.

Clearly, I could see the injury on the side of his head, blood trickling down his cheek like slender fingers, tickling his chin with malicious hunger.

Relieved, I slouched back, groaning as the action caused pain to coruscate across my back.

"Can you walk? We need to leave this area, reinforcements will be on their way. We'll have to take a longer route so they don't follow us, but we can shelter for a few minutes in an occasional house if we can." Chris said curtly, his breaths ragged with excursion.

Weakly, I nodded, though I doubted I could do it on my own. Slowly, I rose to my feet, gritting my teeth to stop another wail of agony. I didn't like this new experience. Clutching onto Chris's side for support, I hobbled forward.

He watched me warily, assessing my injures. However, I detected a new emotion in his eyes. Respect, perhaps? In my dazed state I still felt flattered - I had saved us! I had done something useful! Although this incident was rather disastrous, I felt vague victory. Maybe now they would trust me. Maybe now I could lead on to do great things.