Chapter Ten

In the weeks latter to my and Jay's amiable banter, the preparations were extensive, the plethora of supplies we required steadily growing. I contemplated whether our wealth of goods was becoming superfluous, but it seemed everyone was unsure how long we would need all this stuff, thus leading everyone to pack as much as they could.

Despite all the cumulative preparations, the atmosphere in the group remained taciturn, bordering on sullen and morose as our leaving day threatened nearer and nearer. My mind was still excessively vociferous, whirling in a strictly chaotic and discombobulated manner. I seemed to have a permanent headache - something I wasn't grateful for - and it was depressing to erase all signs of our existence in this tunnel. It reminded me of when my family moved from our shabby apartment to our eloquent mansion; leaving all normalities behind, not knowing where to go and where life would take you. It was daunting.

A shiver coruscate down my spine as I rounded the corner, seeing the others engaging in a staid conversation. Seeing my arrival, Chris waved me over, frequently fiddling once again with the ring located in his lip. Obliging, I hastily walked over.

"We've made a plan on where to go." Chris started, shifting his position to expose a map. The piece of paper was dotted and lined with a rife of markings and words and squiggles. Squinting, I attempted to make sense of the route, yet I couldn't decipher the intention of all the markings. Chris then moved his finger to lay it at a point on the map. "This is where we are now. We intend to stay in the tunnels to remain hidden. However, we have not had the full opportunity to explore the conditions of all of them... Over the last few days Robyn has been delving into some of them, and the ones she has started to explore seem safe enough." Even I could tell the plan was only a vague one. Jay seemed positively nauseous, and even Robyn hadn't taken the liberty to shoot me an impudent remark. "We're going to head North." When he stated this fact, his eyes shifted to glance at both the twins. They both shook their heads. What was that? Were they planning something without me?

Hiding my suspicious and slight hurt at being left out of the seemingly bigger picture, I nodded. "Why North?" I inquired, hoping my subtle question would be answered with honesty.

"Because it seems the wisest option. South leads to where we were attacked, Tempest. It's just to get the robots off our trail." Chris answered too quickly than I liked, yet he managed to hold my gaze unwaveringly. Although I remained insatiable in the answer, I didn't pester to get a larger answer. I already knew they didn't trust me. I just hoped they knew what they were doing.

"We've packed all our remaining food - if all goes well it will sustain us for at least a few weeks. Hopefully by then we will acquire a new food outlet, and a safe place to shelter. We leave tomorrow, alright? Do final checks on all you've decided to take, make sure you haven't left anything that hints we were here. If you find no need for it, chuck it outside. Carefully, though." With a brusque nod, he packed up the map and started to walk away, leaving me with the Twins.

"Have you ever had to do this before?" I asked. I prepared myself for a verbal assault from Robyn.

"Of course not. Don't you think we would be a tad more confident if we had?" Robyn muttered. But her voice seemed hoarse, even she was scared.

"But we've been through much harder things than this, this will be easier." Jay said in a soothing voice, offering a weak smile.

"Whatever. I just hope I get to survive, even though I'm sure death may provide a welcome escape from all this madness." Robyn retorted with shocking candor, making me struggle to stifle a flinch.

"I'm sure that's not true, sister. You wouldn't want our parents to die for nothing..." Jay mumbled, making surprise register on my face. Although they were all knowledgeable on my backstory, I didn't know any of their tales. Would I ever be able to? I opened my mouth to inquire what that meant, but before I had the chance to ask my rash question, they both started to stalk away, Jay murmuring something under his breath to his twin.

----------------

Without any blankets now, we all had to sleep on the callous ground. My back hurt coming into contact with the cold surface, yet I managed to move my body into a vaguely comfortable position. Before I settled down, I had managed to extract the picture of my parents from my bursting backpack, propping it beside me.

My eyes scanned over them, finally landing on me, my five year old self. I shuddered as I remembered my earlier nightmare, feeling the ghostly imprint of the gun in my hand... Would I really do that? Did I really have that much hatred and enmity inside me to complete such a task. I knew the dream was a harmless figment of my despot imagination, but my emotions seemed so stark, my intentions so incisive...

I sniffled, the cowardly action shockingly loud amongst the cold interior of the tunnel, resonating in my ears with taunting impertinence. I bit my lip to stop any more sad emotions, digging my incisor so hard into my flesh I almost drew blood. Would I ever become accustomed to this harsh life? Would I ever live through this impending journey; ever see the untarnished light of day again?

I dug my tooth in harder, feeling metallic liquid ooze into my mouth. Then, I fell asleep uncomfortably, my lip still bleeding, my fingers clutching at the picture...

{All the action is about to start! This chapter marks my one week anniversary on this site! My career on this thing has currently been so short lol xD Remember to keep reading this, vote and comment! Thanks! :-) }