Chapter Twenty

Shock made me step backwards, consequently causing the sound of my footstep to ring out in the eerie interior of the tunnel.

Chris and Robyn? Hugging in a much more intimate way than is socially acceptable, even in the case of extreme friendship?

Hastily removing themselves from each other's arms, Chris and Robyn looked to me. "We can explain." Chris murmured, avoiding my gaze.

Gathering my courage, I stepped toward them, depositing the hefty canoe on the ground and sighing as the weight was relieved from my shoulders.

For a moment, I remained taciturn, seemingly unable to form words amidst the awkward situation. What could one day? Returning from a dire mission to discover something like this was a sheer aberration, yet I was unsure whether I should treat it as a blessing or a curse.

On the one hand, it would improve Robyn's mood if she had someone supportive like Chris to look to. Obviously, the chat I had designated had spiralled into something much more serious and affectionate. On the contrary, any love could distract them from the task at hand, thus endangering all of us and possibly the fate of mankind.

As well as this; was their love genuine? It looked true enough but Robyn always seemed jealous of the confidence Chris and I had around each other - it sometimes looked like we were engaging in a strictly clandestine manner and not including her. Was this just part of her seething vengeance to appease Chris and annoy me?

Close enough now to make out their faces, I scrutinised both their features, trying to dictate an answer amongst my drowsy, lethargic mind, each thought clashing and conflicting like the tide against rocks.

Amusement flared faintly in my stomach at the blatant embarrassment displayed across Chris's face, his cheeks vastly flushed a vivid shade of crimson. Feeling a smile creep onto my mouth, I looked across at Robyn, expecting to find the usual disdain and anger in her optics. Instead, her inky irises were sparkling, gaze constantly averting to the man beside her with what only could be described as magnetic adoration.

"No explanation needed. I just want to be a bridesmaid."

-------------------

As the day progressed, I was shocked to discover Robyn's mood and general reactions to being with me had blatantly improved.

After some more mild banter (which was blissful yet pained, for we all knew the idea of forming a secure relationship out here was impossible), I had led them over to my canoe, relieved to see approval and appreciation laced in their expression. When the said emotions went across Robyn's face I had to refrain from doing a surprised double-take. Usually, she would sniff and snort with hate and resent, but now... She wasn't the most pleasant girl I had ever met but she was significantly better nonetheless.

After letting out a swift succession of yawns, I launched into the story of how I acquired the particular craft, describing the barrier and Stephen with a much detail as I could muster. Hearing myself speak about it made it a little silly, as if it was a children's tale, and for some reason I felt vaguely uncomfortable talking about it. That experience was mine and mine alone; I selfishly wanted to keep the memory of it all to myself, like a toddler and a toy.

After I had done recalling the bizarre occurrences, Chris nodded. "Did you see any of his supposed companions?"

I shook my head, declining the question. "Why? Do you not trust Stephen?"

Fiddling with his lip ring, Chris lifted his shoulders into a shrug. "I have not personally met him, meaning any correct assumptions cannot be made... It is not about that, though. If there are more of them, settlers who have good defences from the robots, we could shelter there, or recruit them."

"Don't you think they would've taken action already if that was there intention?" Robyn intervened, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe they house a variety of people of different ages. Maybe the camp was made just to house families wanting to escape from the technology? They wouldn't want to fight if children and older people were involved." I suggested, my voice unsure and dubious. Whoever and whatever I had encountered was a mystery. A clever one at that.

"That does make more sense..." Chris agreed. "It would just be useful to have more allies." He paused, before shrugging. "We have never needed more of us - the three of us is more than adequate. Let's concentrate on getting across. We'll go tomorrow. We should all rest and eat."

Robyn and I nodded in agreement. My eyelids were already being tugged downward by the seduction of rest, my energy had been vastly usurped. "Sounds like a plan."

"Good. We make the last stretch to the centre of the city tomorrow."

I went to bed that night feeling rested. My belly was full of food and I could feel a silver lining appear in my heart. Despite the obvious danger we still faced, I would rather die amongst these friends then live my life a fugitive to this tyranny, I would rather sacrifice myself to make this new life and inject colour into this bland world than be useless, wallowing amongst glowing screens and luxury. I knew in that moment, as I slipped into the warm embrace of slumber, I would do anything for this cause.

I would die if needed.