Chapter Three

Chris raised an eyebrow at my spontaneous choice of name. Robyn snorted; Jay merely watched me, blinking in an observing, almost friendly manner.

Hands still fidgeting fervently under the table, I shaped my face to represent a nonchalant demeanour. "Is there a problem?" I asked, hoping to sound mildly dominant in the proceedings of this chat. However, my voice was too hoarse and croaky for the facade to be complete.

"No." Chris replied. His expression was unreadable, which annoyed me. I hated this interrogation, the way I didn't know any of them and yet they had the authority to decide my fate, decide whether I live or die. Then again - what did I expect? This whole world was just a labyrinth of madness. Uncomfortable under all their gazes, I lowered my eyes, teeth gritting in irritation and fear.

"So. Tempest. How did you end up in a tube tunnel, devoid of sleep and ready to pass out? You've been sleeping for two days, you know. Care to explain?" Chris continued, voice cold as he awaited expectantly for an answer.

A gulp resonated from my throat, and I hated how loud and meek it sounded, blatantly voicing my fear with its jumpy tone. I didn't want to answer this personal question, yet what choice did I have?

"I guess it all started a few years ago, when I was about 18. My dad started dabbling in the technology business: soon he had his own line of products."

I knew that was a risky thing to admit, for I knew they would be especially suspicious of anyone with relations who could possibly be in league with the robots. That is, if they're even freedom fighters. "Mum was all for the idea and money. We moved away from everyone I ever knew, to a mansion a few miles from where we are now. We had an abundance of rooms, and all of them featured glowing screens. I noticed I wasn't the priority of the family anymore - tech was. Like everyone else, they were being brainwashed by the robots, sucked into this inescapable grip. They were all I had. I had no friends near me, and I despised technology for corrupting my parents. I got desperate for them to notice me again. I wanted my family back." My voice became more fervent. "I started using the Internet to steal money from bank accounts. It was easy to me. From an early age I had developed an affinity for things like that. I thought that if I got into trouble, my parents would avert their eyes to me, and help me get over this craze, subsequently forming a family again... But the plan backfired. I did indeed get into trouble. These robot contraptions came round my house and demanded that I was to be taken into jail. Dad was furious, of course. He made sure I wasn't taken away by giving the robots a few million quid but my attempt just made my parents shut me out even more... They called me a failure, a disgrace. And the brief moments they did look at me... Only fury registered in their gazes. No affection, no love. Just anger."

I paused for a moment, feeling tears prick at my eyes.

Extracting my hands from under the table, I pressed the sweaty palms to my eyes, hoping to cease any flow of the salty residue.

I had barely thought through the whole story for a while now, forcing myself not to linger on the past, for I knew it would herald this effect on me. I missed my parents; my former life. I didn't blame them, of course.

It was the robots, the technology that had gained a conscience of its own that had induced my family into a brainwashed tyranny. I felt a thirst claw at my brain. Trying to pinpoint what this particular yearning was, I realised it was the wistful nature of revenge. 

I shut my eyes and moved my hands back under the table, clenching them into formidable fists.

Opening my eyes again, I took a few shaky breaths before concluding my tale: "It was after a few months of that I decided to leave. I stole some more money with plans not to squander it, grabbed a backpack and a few sets of clothes. I took a picture of my parents from when I was five. When we were all smiling. When we were all happy... I didn't know where I was going. I just ran and jogged and walked, the dark horizon threatening a hard night. Then, I remembered the tube tunnels, and wondered whether I could shelter in one of them. That's where you found me."

Nodding to my tale, Chris reached under the table and presented me with my backpack. Clutching it to my chest, I nodded in gratitude, awaiting their verdict on my story.

To my surprise, it was Jay who spoke. "I say we should believe her. Her fear and sadness were genuine, and the story seems legitimate. Anyway, if she was employed to kill us, wouldn't she have done it already?"

"Pfft. What if her mission is to extract information before running back to her boss? Could it be a coincidence that she ended up in a tunnel a few yards down? What if she's just a good actor?" Robyn contradicted, crossing her arms defiantly.  I hated the fact they were talking like I wasn't there. It reminded me of my parent's treatment.

"I will take both of your verdicts into account." Chris mused, tapping his slender fingertips on the table, whilst his other hand fiddled with the ring in his lip. "She'll stay here, for now. We'll assess her in training tomorrow, keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't try to run." Turning to me, his eyes hardened. "Don't try anything, do you understand? You may seem genuine, but I've learned the most innocent of people can strike the most damage."

My tooth hooked over my lip, the long digging in so fiercely I feared I would draw blood. "I understand." I whispered.

"Good." Chris started standing up, as did Robyn and Jay.

"Wait." I abruptly said. "I have one more question."

Chris inclined his head in an invitation for me to carry on.

"Are you really freedom fighters?"

A smirk played with all their faces, "Yes. Yes we are."

{I apologise about the fact this book doesn't really have any action in it. In about two or three chapters all the action will begin!
Again, thank you if you have decided to read this book! I'm finding this experience really fun and exciting!}