Aquaris

I woke up by a bright light. My eyes slowly open, and I see the sun rays beaming through my bedside window. I sighed at the beautiful, familiar sight as I stand up, stretching.

A gush of cool air hits me as I exit my bedroom door. Our house is quite open to ocean breezes. But since I live at the tip of Florida it stays pretty warm all year round. Thank goodness for that. I'm not exactly a big fan of freezing my butt off for fun.

Continuing on to the kitchen, I devoured some toast, ignoring the souring taste of the aging bread.

Once I slipped my blue bikini on and brushed my hair, I studied myself in the mirror. My blonde hair is naturally straight, and is now reaching about down to my waist. And my tan skin complements my skinny figure along with all of my features. My ocean blue eyes sparkle. Almost as if to say 'I don't belong here, in this ugly world.' That's why I have been named Emma. My Mom wanted me to have a different name than anything like the rest of my family member's names, just because my eyes are blue, while everyone else's are brown. So my older sisters have the names Sophie, Sadie, and Sallie. But it's not because she favors me. No, it's because she hates me. Don't get me in to that story... I can't go there..

Not that any of that matters. Despite what might sound pretty, it's not. Not to me atleast...

I sigh and look away from the mirror.

Not wanting to look at the object starring back at me anymore, I head outside to see what my closest friends, which happen to be my neighbors, are doing. I say they are my closest friends, but it's more of, they hang out with other girls and I just sit there being excluded while they laugh about jokes. Sometimes the jokes even being me. But they are the only people I know that will let me hangout with them. Everyone else either walks away, or tells me off. Not a very fun way to live..

Jogging a little ways down the beach, I noticed that their cars are all missing from their driveways. I came to the obvious conclusion that none of them are home.

Probably left to go shopping early on purpose so I couldn't tag along.. I thought to myself.

Now I don't know what to do this weekend, seeing I'm a total loner and social outcast. So without any other plans, I might as well head over to my childhood hideout.

A few minutes of walking down the beach, past all of the houses, a feild of boulders came into view, meeting with the clear ocean water. I swooshed between the boulders and laid down on a flat rock on the ocean side, hidden behind the rest of the huge rocks. The smooth rock is soft on my skin and the sun is beating down lightly on my chest. My hand dangled down, with my fingers tingling in the cool water less than three inches below me.

I found this place when I was only 6. I have always been an independent person, and always went my own way. That is how I happened to come across this beautiful place. And also how no one else has found it. It's my little secret, the one place I can go to think and to be alone. Getting away from all my troubles at school, and home, is the only thing on my mind right now, and this is the perfect place to do just that.

Relaxing, and clearing my mind, I let myself drift off with wandering thoughts, and I fell asleep with the noise of the ocean soothing me.

^^^^^^^^^******^^^^^^^^^

Salty water splashed against my face. I awoke with a start! Jerking to a sitting position, my head swiveled around, trying to gather my senses about my surroundings. My breath escaped my mouth as I became aware of where I was.

Now calm, I glanced down at the ocean water below me. It's clear and beautiful as usual. The wind stirred the water, causing ripples to form.

"...Aquaris..."

I thought I heard something being said in the wind. But I looked around and no one was anywhere to be seen.

"Hello?" My call was lost in the wind.

The wind picked up. So strong, a bush could be uprooted! And one was. It spun around, reaching out as if to capture me. I clung to the nearest boulder, grappling for a hold. My eyes are clenched shut and my heart is pounding.

Is it a storm? Hurricane? Earthquake?

I was so lost in thought, it took me a moment to realize, the wind has stopped. Not quieted, or slowed down, but stopped. Nothing moved. Even the water down below is completely still. Something is wrong. Very wrong. It is too quiet.

The water's color shifted slightly right before my very eyes. It turned to a foggy dark blue. I couldn't see anything through it. Chills crawled up my spine as I leaned away from the water, trying to get as far away as possible.

Before I could get away, something shot out of the water, and latched onto my arm!

My scream pierced through the air as I am yanked into the water! My open mouth causing mouthfuls of water to surge down my throat. It made me cough, but only to swallow more water.

I am going to die! I just know it!

Whatever it was that had grabbed me, is still clinging to my arm. I could feel it strongly pulling me down deeper into the water. My struggling to get to the surface is useless. The fogged water is blocking my vision from being able to see what is trying to drown me.

My head begins to pound, my eyesight is growing fuzzy, and my lungs are bursting with the need for oxygen.

I can't die yet! I'm only 19! I have to get married! Have kids! Go skydiving! Try Japanese soda!This can't be happening right now!

Oh but it is. My thoughts were screaming at me that this isn't real, but this is very real.

I felt something press against my lips, just as I lost consciousness. A blaze of some sort of flame shot through my body, and all went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~