16. spring breakers pt. 1

And as her petals would unfold. You grew drunk on her perfume

- Lang Leav, The Rose

SONG - SHADOWS - BIRDY

It must have been a strange sight to see a couple of teenagers in the first class lounge at the airport for a few passengers. Harvey had been seated at the bar silently with his phone is his hand and cold coke doused with some brandy to excite it a little. He'd brought alcohol in a little flask that he managed to sneak past the men searched him at customs. The trick was to bring it in a plastic flask and not metal.

Risky, but the bartender was far too busy to notice him mixing his coke with brandy anyway. If it came down to anything else, he looked twenty one anyway and had a fake ID to prove it.

A little criminal but he hated long flights and all they entailed.

"What else?" the bartender asked.

"Nothing." Harvey replied abruptly.
His phone vibrated. It was a message from his father saying that he should enjoy his trip.

They'd talked extensively the previous night leaving Harvey feeling equal parts of grief and relief. He told him about Oliver, who he was and how they met.
James was shocked at everything but remained calm and composed.

He seemed to understand why Horton Tanner, Oliver's stepdad, maintained privacy and thought he was a good man for all he'd done for Oliver and his mother.

James also maintained that Horton knew about Oliver's past as a rent boy even though Harvey had stated it wasn't possible.

"I know these things and I know the sort of man he is. He wouldn't hold it against the poor boy." His father had said.

He promised to look into several things when Harvey came back from spring break. He was also planning on telling Harvey's mother about the divorce. Something prone to be messy but necessary.

Harvey took another sip of his corrupted coke.

He was on his way for a holiday; stressful thoughts could come back when he came back. The whole point of this was to forget his semi-messed up life for two weeks at least.

It's not like trouble wouldn't be waiting when he comes back.

"Ah pre-flight drinks. Good call my friend." Kale said popping out from nowhere and patting him on the shoulder since he knew the plastic brandy bottle trick well.

The guys from the team and the two girls, Stella and Michelle were all gathered and giggling far too loud for his ears even though he was a reasonable distance away from them.

"Either this or sleeping pills." Harvey replied.

Kale grinned "Right on man. Oh look, Oliver and Elena just arrived."

At first Harvey panicked a little that they may have come together but when he saw Elena trailing with her friends and their designer hand luggage walking far behind Oliver who quickly went to sit next to Jake, he relaxed.

She sent him a briefly blank look before looking away and turning to laugh exaggeratedly with her friends.

Didn't she get tired of trying to pretend she didn't care?

Jake was smiling at Oliver who was now showing him something on his phone. They looked content together. Were they friends or something now?

"This is going to be one hell of a trip." Kale said patting his shoulders before going to meet the girls. Harvey dropped his glass and shook his head at the offer of a refill.