06 | hide

06

h i d e

"Okay so..." I stare into the paper in my hand. "We've managed to get 47 members in one week. Which is good..." I stare at the unenthusiastic group of students in front of me.

It's during the after school hours, in the class room used by the Chess Club students. I managed to ask the teachers if we could club together the science, math and chess clubs. Funnily enough most of the people, getting bullied belonged to either one of those clubs.

But now, I'm really second guessing myself. Getting people to join was easy. People willingly joined once word spread around, because to them it seemed cool to have a sort of revolt against the popular people. But then, actually planning what to do, and to get them motivated; well that was the problem.

"Um... Hey could you turn that off please?" I look into the crowd, as a guy plays on his PSP, oblivious to what I was saying. I huff dejectedly as he continues to play, and then the people, around him start cheering him on.

I sigh because this already seems like a dying cause. Liam looks at me unsurely. His physics textbook has been open the whole time, but he's had his attention solely fixed on me since we started.

He bites his lip, before standing up and moving to the boy in the back. He neatly plucks the device from his hands before saying, "if you're not interested, you're free to leave. Just don't come here and not respect the person who's trying to help you all."

The boy looks at Liam, his expression unfazed. However he takes the PSP, pockets it and stares ahead at me.

Liam doesn't return to his seat, and instead he walks over to the front of the class with me. "You okay?" He whispers, placing a hand on the small of my back.

I take a deep breath before smiling at him. "Yeah."

He stays there with me before looking into the crowd. "Guys, look. She's doing something not only to help herself but to help all of us as well. We've all got to co-operate in order to make this work."

Everyone sits up straight. It's funny to see people actually respecting him. But with the right people, intellect earns its respect, I guess.

I look up at him in awe. "Didn't you think this whole thing was dangerous and time-consuming?" I whisper, acknowledging how he asked everyone to co-operate.

He turns to look at me. "I can see how much this means to you. And if you're happy, then I'd willingly make everyone support this cause."

And then I feel it. That swooping feeling in the bottom of my stomach. The feeling which suddenly makes me conscious of how close we're standing. His eyes suddenly widen, and it seems as though he's grown conscious of the same fact as well. He clears his throat before taking a step back and looking at the students again.

"So, it would be nice if a few of you can just... You know, stand up and tell us why you're supporting this cause." He looks around at the students. "Have any of you been bullied?" He quickly shakes his head when a bubble of laughter escapes from the students. "Of course, most of you have. But could you tell us about the incident? Anyone?"

A few people shift, and one or two begin whispering amongst themselves. I spot Bridget, as she's sitting with Hazelle. Bridget looks fine, her blue pumps tapping a small tune on the floor of the classroom. However, Hazelle on the other hand looks a little worried.

I look up at her and raise my eyebrows, but she gives me a forced smile, before shaking her head.

Finally, a boy stands up. He's a member of the chess club and he tells us how one time Aaron Shuntz, a member of the football team, snapped his chess-board in two just because he bumped into him in the corridor.