Disaster # 23

Twenty-Three

          I slept as soon as I came back in my room, without waiting for Courtney or Miranda. It was a long day but a longer night awaited me. I felt like I had just woken up from a dream even though I was about to sleep. There was a long list of questions I had to ask from Miranda...and Tristan.

          Tristan. The name immediately resulted in an uneasy feeling in my stomach and a tingling sensation on my right temple. I was still dumbfounded, recovering from that sudden act; gradually.

          It was not like I hated it. I liked it, heck I loved it even! But there was so much more to the story than to just accept the preface. What was going through his mind? Was it some kind of bet?

          I gasped for air when everything clicked into place. He was having bet with someone, it was definite. There was no way he could do a complete U-turn in one night. I was not going to buy that. I was not weak. I was not his toy or anyone else's for that matter. I am not looking for friends or boyfriends (not that he would, in a million lifetimes, ever want to be with me).

          I would confront him about it tomorrow and not go to cafeteria like he asked me to. He was probably planning on making a fool out of me in public again.

          'He was sincere.
          How would I know?

          Sincerity reflected in his eyes.
          As if I was a master in that.'

          I scoffed, battling to myself.

          The next morning was a complete haze from Miranda and Courtney asking me about the carnival as I kept answering them, from what little Victoria had told me. When they told me about the camp fire, I hesitated in telling them about the incident with Tristan. Surprisingly, even Miranda did not talk to me about it. What was going on?

          I packed my ballet outfit in my bag and Tristan's sweater was limping on my bended arm as I set out of the dorm room when my friends were only dressing up. I needed fresh air. It seemed like having a long sleep did not bring me peace at all.

          It was a sunny day for sure, but a cool breeze was blowing which made the weather bearable. I was trudging towards my home economics class when I saw Jake talking to Victoria just outside the classroom. His eyes faltered to me a bit and he gave me a half smile which I returned. I love how some guys don't give a damn about girls or high school drama.

          I missed the giddy feeling I used to get when Jake was around but I couldn't have had it any other way. He was already with Victoria and it would have been really weird if I was oogling over him when he was already in a relationship. I felt presentable today, I was wearing a white, floral sleeveless shirt and black shorts. The bracelets were making a clacking sound as I walked. I barely ever wore jewelery but I felt like I could be different today.

          I walked past Jake and Victoria, giving a curt nod to both of them as I realised me and Jake would be the first ones today. My stomach started growling and I groaned. It better stay quiet when people start filling in.

           The one hour class was boring and really long. Even yhough I liked home economics. A hungry man is an angry man, I thiught. I felt like I had been attending this class all day. But when I got up to leave the class, I suddenly felt light headed. Blinking my eyes a few times to gain vision, I took baby steps out of the class and started walking towards the washroom. This is not helping, I have my ballet class in 2 hours; which is before lunch, which means I probably can't have lunch for another 3 hours. I decided to grab breakfast with the second shift if Tristan was not in the cafeteria anymore