Chapter Five: Josh Newman

A blond haired girl and a black haired guy just showed up, obviously reinforcements. I could tell she's sizing us up by the way her grey eyes scan over me.

"Who are you?" she asked Scatty and only got the response of, "I am the Shadow."

Her answer was true, but the girl wasn't  satisfied.

"You know I'm going to need a better answer than that. If you won't tell me who you are, then who are your friends?" she questioned Scathach once more.

I could see Scatty relax slightly and I tightened my grip on Clarent. It's obvious to me that she's deliberately loosening up to test if anyone will make the first move and then the big, pug- faced girl leapt at the Shadow, holding her spear sideways to attempt to hold her down. Scathach was too fast for her as she deflected the girl's spear with both of her swords, catching the attack in mid-air. She looked into to the girl's surprised face and genuinely smiled, revealing her two pointed fangs.

The pug girl faltered, with horror on her face she took a step back.

"She's a vampire!"

That sentence made all the other kids tense up and look towards the blond haired girl awaiting the command to attack. I could see Sophie with her finger hovering above her fire trigger tattoo, ready to send something up in flames any second. Clarent started vibrating in my hand, ready for action and Scatty was smiling hysterically and almost appeared to be laughing. Everyone was looking toward the grey- eyed girl, but girl shook her head and everyone backed off.

"What the actual Hades are you thinking, Annabeth?!" Pug-faced girl turned to the blond with the dagger. "These people are clearly armed and dangerous and one of them is a vampire! You cannot just let them go unscathed, you saw what just happened to me. That vamp just almost killed me!"

The blond, Annabeth, had a look of clear annoyance written all over her face for a second before covering it with a battle hardened expression.

"Correction, Clarisse." She replied to the pug girl's accusations. "You were the one to attack someone we had yet to identify as a threat, so you were almost merely scratched in an action of self-defense. So instead of fighting this out and people getting hurt and possibly killed," Annabeth glared at Clarisse. "How about you three come with us to camp, and we figure out who you are and you figure out who we are. Okay?"