5: Don't control this

HERMIONE

I sat quietly at lunch, not speaking to anyone and not looking up from my food to make sure I didn't make eye contact with anyone. I'm a horrible lier and when somebody asked me what's wrong I would've spilled.

  I also didn't want to catch the eye of a certain Slytherin. The one who possesses feelings for me, the one that betrayed me.

  Nobody made an effort to speak to me, probably believing I was just not in the mood to talk. However, the way out of the Great Hall was another story.

My friends and I walked in a tightly knit pack and I wasn't left alone.

"Hermione what's wrong?" Ginny asks.

"Nothing." I say avoiding her eyes.

And somehow as everyone in the group had a simultaneous thought, they said
"There, there" With everyone saying it, it ran through my head. Over and over until I lost my temper.

"Enough with the demonstrative pronouns!" I yelled aloud. Everyone gave me an odd look, "A monster pro...noun? What's that?" Ron asks.

This is the first time we've spoken in a while. After Fred's death he closed me off completely.

He only spoke to Harry and Ginny, quite frankly I was jealous, that he left me in the dust and not them. He left his best friend.

He's been much happier since he and Lavender got together.

"It's a word that takes place of a noun and it starts wit-" I notice that nobody is catching onto what I'm saying so I just drop it.

"Never mind, let's just... Go to class." I say, I walk quickly ahead. In that moment all of their heads snapped up and they began walking to their classroom in a zombie like state, all seeming lost in their own world. I look at them in shock, what had I done?

As soon as my friends arrived inside the classroom they stopped looking so sluggish and carried about normally. I stood by the door, frozen. How could it work so easily. I wasn't even trying, I was just upset.

I hear heavy footsteps and behind me appears Headmistress McGonagoll, her eyes were frantic, palms shaking and she was looking livid. Her eyes skirted mine before speaking with Professor Flitwick rather quietly. She nodded her head in agreement, I suppose, and hurried towards me, pulling me out of the room. I gasp when she grips my arm tightly,
"Ouch, let go!" I yell in agony as the door behind us is shut.

She pulls away, her eyes moony and once again. Like a prisoner, stone cold, yet fragile. Her eyes return to normal after she pulls away, my hands cover my mouth, "What did I do?" I ask in shock.

"Miss Granger, you are aware of the power I told you of, of course. I believe you are unaware of how to control it." She rushes out, her eyes are filled with fury.

"Of course I don't!" I say loudly.

"You can... Control people. You know this, is that all you know?"

"Yes, Headmistress McGonagoll, that's all I know." Not a common sentence coming from my mouth.

"Well, the way this affects people is determined by your mood. As you were angry earlier, it affected the subjects strongly and put them in a sluggish trance. If you learn to control it, you can do this calmly and you are able to make the subject look normal. It works much like the Imperius Curse, Miss Granger. Do you see why this is dangerous? You need to learn to control it."

I noted that she said the word 'if' instead of when, was she not going to help me?

I then realize what else she said, I was like the Imperius Curse, one of the three unforgivable curses.  If I don't control this, I will put everyone in danger.