14: The Christmas Ball

HERMIONE

A few nights later, I stand in the Prefects bathroom and stare at my face. Though I hadn't talked to them in forever, Ginny and Luna insisted on preparing for the ball with me.

Ginny had done my makeup, it was simple. I had slightly pinker lips and a simple golden eyeshadow on. There was mascara but I stopped Ginny there. Luna had done my hair, she used a spell to straighten it out, she then curled it back, instead of messy curls and frizzy hair though, there were neat, shiny ringlets.

I thanked the two girls repeatedly and helped each of them prepare as well.

"Hermione." Ginny says.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure Draco's changed?" She asks me with soft eyes.

"I'm sure." I say sharply.

"Good. You're right, everyone deserves a second chance. He's got mine." She says with a small smile.

I feel my heart lighten up. Ginny was forgiving him like I did.

Smiling, I pulled out my dress robes, they were blue and it stopped just above the knee. They had lace sleeves and lace over the top part but was plain blue till the bottom where it got lighter.

I look down at my arms in embaressment. You couldn't make out what the word on my arm was but it still made me feel nervous.

Ginny had an emerald colored dress that went great with her hair color and Luna was in a brightly colored and multi-patterned dress.

"Do... Do I look okay?" I ask them. Ginny stares at me in bewilderment.

"Seriously?" She asks.

"What? It's bad?" I say with a bit of panic. I'm not usually one to care much for looks but I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous.

"Of course not, Hermione." Ginny says. "You look amazing."

I look to Luna who is nodding her head eagerly in agreement.

"Thank you, you both look beautiful as well." I say looking at Ginny who looks like a model and Luna who is beautiful as her unique and adorable self.

I thanked the girls once more and left the prefects bathroom, I walked to the Great Hall to find Draco. I knew he wasn't going to want to make a big deal out of this seeing as we weren't going as anything more than friends, sadly.

I tugged on my sleeves more as I approached the doors. I pushed the door open with my right forearm. I notice the people that already arrived giving me looks of astonishment.

I averted my eyes, turning my head to the floor hoping not to awkwardly catch anyone's eyes.

After getting out of the way of everyone's stares, I went off to find Draco. My eyes searched the crowd of people for a familiar blond head.

I had been looking for nearly fifteen minutes before deciding to sit down and wait to see if he actually shows up.

I heard footsteps right behind me and turn to see Draco, he was in his dress robes with a dark green tie. He looked... Well, saying he looked good would be an understatement.

"Hi." I breathe. I stand up from my seat to face him fully. Draco doesn't say anything for a moment before seeming to shake out of his trance and smile.