16: Farewell Hogwarts

HERMIONE

A few weeks later, I awoke with a grieving feeling. A sick feeling deep in my gut that seemed to be spreading. It was only six o'clock this morning and everyone else was sleeping peacefully.

I rubbed my puffy eyes and ran my fingers through my hair feeling sickened and stressed. My heart was beating wildly and I felt like throwing up.

Getting up from my bed for what was most likely the last time, I frowned remembering so many things that I had taken for granted at the moment being.

I change quickly into my robes, attempting to be quiet so not to wake anyone up. I pull my bag over my shoulder and creep out of the girls dormitories.

Today was the day they were going to run the tests and today we were leaving. We would stay for the tests and if they caught us we would find each other and apparate away, McGonagall had lifted the enchantment from Hogwarts and I could now apparate to and from here.

I curl up on the couch, since the beginning of the year my skin had grown even more pale than imaginable, bags had grown under my eyes making me looked to have aged a few years.
My skin clung to my bones, stretching tightly at joints. I hadn't been able to eat much, I was too worried all the time.

Soon, the rest of the Gryffindors come down the stairs and head to the hall to eat breakfast. It was a cold and brittle Saturday and I had already picked my place of apparition. It was very far away and I'm sure nobody would think to look there.
I wonder around the halls innocently and make my way up to the Astronomy tower to see a pale faced Draco. He was worried sick, not for himself but for me. I tried to convince him that I was fine and I could handle myself but he wasn't having it.

"Draco, give me your bag." I say grabbing my bag and pulling it open. He hands me his bag without hesitation.

"Hermione." He says looking at my dreadful appearance. "Everything's going to be okay, alright?"

I blink quickly to avoid any tears escaping my eyes. For the first time since the war, I was terrified. I was terrified for myself and for Draco and for what lies ahead of us.

"Come on, we don't need to be late." My hand brushes his as I walk past him.

We both walked quickly down the stairs, making our way to the Great Hall as quick as possible.
When we arrive, the four long tables are gone and replaced by seven tiny tables, each with two Aurors. Students stand in lines along each table, separated by year. Everyone seemed to be there already so Draco and I were last in our year's line.

I grew more anxious as the line shrank. Fear grew stronger and stronger in my head and as I was the next one up, Draco gripped my hand tightly. "Everything's going to be fine, it's going to be okay." He whispers into my ears.

I nod as be releases my hand. The auror remains faceless and says, "You must be Hermione Granger." Not seeming to care at all.

I nod my head and take the seat in front of the table, gripping my bag tightly. I can feel Draco's stare on me as I clench my fists tighter and tighter.

The auror says nothing and begins to attempt Legilimency on me but I use my skills in Occlumency to avoid his peering mind. He grunts and mutters something about being stubborn.

"We're just going to ask a few questions after you take this Veritesarum." The slightly taller auror says, giving me a glass of the clear, odorless liquid. I pretend to take a drink of it. Hoping hey don't notice