Chapter Five

Devon at the side , isn't she pretty ;)

Chapter Five

HUNTER REACHES THE YOUNG MALE vamp just as he was about to sink his fangs into Devon's neck.

"She's mine," he growled. He caught the vampire's shoulder and the man's snapped up. Blood trickled from the prick points on Devon's neck but it didn't gush. The vampire hadn't bit too deep enough to it the artery and claim her as his own.

Yet.

The notion bothered him a helluva lot more than it should have considering he wasn't the least bit interested in keeping Devon for himself. Even if she had been one of the best lays he'd had in a long, long time.

Hunter shifted his attention to the woman sprawled on the pavement nearby. Her chest rose and fell and tears dropped down her cheeks. The bite marks at her neck pumped blood out onto the pavement. She wasn't dead. Yet. "Haven't you had enough?" he asked the young vampire.

A smile twisted his lips. "There's no such thing."

Damn straight. Hunter had just had incredible sex, yet his insides still tightened and clenched. His nostrils flared with the decadent scent of blood. His di*k throbbed with the memory of Devon surrounding him, making him come.

He braced himself and eyed the younger vampire who held her in front of him like a shield. "How old are you?"

"Twenty-four."

"Not your age. How long have you been a vampire?"

The red glint in his eyes cooled just a little and impatience flashed. "Eight months. What does that have to do with anything?"

"The fact that you don't know shows just how disadvantaged you are right now. I've got years on you and a century more experience." His gaze dropped to Devon. Her eyes were wide open, pure fear swimming in their depths. The urge to protect her surged through him and shook him to the core. "You've had your fun tonight. Back off."

"Or else?"

"Do you really have to ask?" Hunter flashed his own fangs and the vampire hissed.

Shit.

The last thing he wanted was to get into a pissing contest with a wet behind the core fledgling. They could be unpredictable, which made the situation far more dangerous than usual.

The vamp tightened his hold on Devon and Hunter stepped forward, his fangs bared, his fury this close to simmering over.

"Fine." The vampire thrust her forward "She's yours."

Hunter caught Devon and tucked her safely behind him.

Meanwhile, the young vamp turned his attention back to his first victim.

"I've got my own."

"No," Devon breathed, her protest did little to stop the hungry vampire.

It was Hunter's hand that caught him by the shoulder and brought him up short."You won't make it another eight months if you keep being this stupid. All a vampire killer has to do is follow your trail of dead bodies and that'll be the end of you." Hunter focused on the girl who lay sprawled in a fast-growing pool of her own blood. He could hear the faint beat of her heart and the slow draw of breath. She wasn't dead, but she was close.

"You took too much blood. She'll live, but only if she gets medical attention right away." He spared the vampire a glanced. "Take her to the hospital."

"Are you freakin' kidding me?"

Hunter tightened his hold on the vampire "Take her to the hospital,"he bit out. "Or you won't have to wait for the vampire killers to found you. I'll end your miserable existence myself."