Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

HUNTER FELT THE INTOXICATING throb against his tongue and heat exploded in his belly. His jaw ached and his fangs tingled. The very tip of his incisor rasped her tender flesh and desire speared him. One sweet drop of blood beaded on her fragrant skin, the scent  teasing and tempting.

The salty sweet taste hit his tongue and sent a firebomb straight down his throat to his stomach. Heat exploded and his body shook and it was all he could do to force himself away.

But he did.

He slid his lips down,licking at her throat, nibbling her collarbone. But not drinking.

Drinking from her as she'd drank from him would solidify the connection between them. Distance wouldn't matter then. There would be no pushing her out of his thoughts. His heart.

He shook off the last notion and concentrated on holding tight to his control.

He might have agreed to the sex. But he wouldn't--couldn't--indulge in her blood.

Her body, however, was a different story.

He'd been there, done that, and so the damage was already done. No sense denying himself.

He tightened his grip on her bottom, anchoring her in place as he thrust upward. Her insides tightened around him, milking him and the sensation sent him over the edge. His climax hit him hard and fast, like the swift jerk of an angry bull. He stiffened, hanging on for dear life as the adrenaline rushed through him and every nerve in his body started to vibrate.

Hunter slid his arms around her and held her tight. Relishing the frantic beat of her heart against his chest. Feeling it inside his own.

Not that it felt half as good as his fight seconds, he reminded himself.

Hell, no. That high was much more potent and satisfying.

This...This was just sex.

Sustenance.

The end.

The two words echoed, so clear and distinct, in Devon's head and she stiffened.

"It's not like i think there's more to this than there is," she said as she climbed off of him. "Trust me, I know it's just sex, and i know it doesn't mean anything."

His gaze narrowed. "I thought you weren't the meaningless sex type?"

"I'm not." Regardless of what the folks in town might think.

The minute the thought echoed in her head, his gaze narrowed and she knew he'd picked up every word. "It doesn't matter what other people think." His voice was deep and gruff. "All that matters is what you think."

"Easy for you to say. You don't live here." Grabbing the steering wheel, she held on as she climbed down to the ground and retrieve her panties. Her skin heated as she slid them on, all the while conscious of his gaze.

"If it bothers you, pick up and move."

"Believe me, I've thought about it."

"But?"

"But this is home." She shrugged and snatched up her T-shirt. "The only one I've ever had." She slid the soft cotton over her head and tried to ignore the fact that he was still perched in the tractor seat, still naked."Besides, things have changed some. Once people realized I wasn't the same as my mother and sisters, they started treating me differently. There are still quite a few who haven't come around, but I can't say i really blame them. My mother wasn't the most upstanding woman."