Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

THE SOUND OF KNOCKING POUNDED through the blackness that engulfed Hunter. Sun sucked at his strength, but he made it to the door anyway.

"Yeah?"

"It's Eldon, Mr Boyd. Eldon Atkins. Remember me from check-in? Can i talk to you for a second?"

Hunter threw the lock on the door and pulled it open a half-inch. Light spilled through the opening and he shrank back into the safety of the shadows. A split second later, Eldon leaned closer and peered into the inch-wide space, effectively blocking the rays.

"Just thought I'd let you know that there was someone here looking for you last night. Tall. Dark hair. Smart mouth. Said he was a reporter for some rodeo magazine. I think his name was Lenny----"

"Benny?" Hunter stiffened. "Benny James?"

"That's it."

Shit.

Obviously James hadn't bought the story Hunter had fed him about passing through town. He'd followed him here.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that i took care of everything for you. I told him if he was looking for the infamous Hunter Boyd, he was looking in the wrong place 'cause we don't got no famous rodeo cowboys staying here in the VIP suite. And we sure as hell don't have any famous rodeo cowboys here that don't want to be disturbed."

"I appreciate that."

"My pleasure. Just so's you know, I've got my lawn chair right here just to make sure he don't pull no funny business and try to get past me."

"I really appreciate that, Eldon, but don't you think it might look a little bit suspicious? You sitting in front of the VIP door with a shotgun?"

"I didn't really think about that. Maybe I'll skedaddle down a few doors and throw him off the track."

"Or you could head back to the lobby and play it cool like nothing is going on. Then he might be inclined to think I'm staying at the one of the motels out on the interstate."

"I could monitor things from inside with my binoculars."

"Sounds like a plan."

" If i see any funny business, i can get on the horn. I've got Sheriff Keller's number pre-programmed in my cell. One touch and this place'll be crawling with cops."

Hunter seriously doubted a town the size of Skull Creek had more than two or three full-time officers, so crawling was definite overkill. But he wasn't going to rain on Eldon's parade. The man was on a roll.

"Cause no guest of mine is gonna be bothered by no annoying reporters. You came here 'cause you need your peace and quite. The least i can do is guaran-damn-tee that ain't nobody gonna bother you. 'Sides, i told you that i'm used to famous celebrities here. We get'em all the time here. Speaking of famous celebrities, you okay on clean towels? 'Cause i'd be happy to bring you extra---"

"Fine," Hunter cut in. "I'm doing just fine."

"How about ice? I'd be happy to head over to the ice machine and---"

"I'm good on ice, too, buddy."

"Clean sheets?"

"Winona changed them yesterday."

"A new Bible?"

"Still got one right here in the top drawer. Listen, thanks a lot for all you're doing. I really appreciate it."