Westcountry Myth: Arthur and Merlin

Merlin and King Arthur are nowadays inextricably linked together, but until the 12th century they had separate stories.

In more ancient circles of thought, Arthur was thought to have come to power after the Romans left Britain, in a state of enforced peace. It was not long before existing tribes began warring, and Arthur - a former Roman commander - is said to have united them to in the 5th and 6th century to fend off fresh Saxon invaders. 

 As for Merlin, the Myrddin of the older Welsh legends was a wild man of the woods, living in the Forest of Celyddon. He had been a prince and warrior, but following the Battle of Arfderydd had become mad, was struck with prophecy and was able to speak with animals and creatures of the wild. Even when his madness left him, he still had prophecy and a love of nature.  His famous cave which he inhabited during those years, is thought to be located in the cliffs of Tintagel (see above pic). 

More modern myths claim King Arthur was always based in the Westcountry, and some even portray the king as a wild pagan figure. The name  Arthur, they claim, arose from the Celtic word 'Art' for bear.

Merlin's link to Arthur is now at the very heart of the Arthurian legend. Wise man, seer and sorcerer, Merlin is instrumental in Arthur's conception, birth and upbringing. He organises the sword in the stone, ensuring that Arthur is accepted by other kings and knights; creates the idea of a round table; and is at Arthur's side throughout his early reign, advising and helping. He is the bridge between the Celtic and the Christian, and provides the mystery and the magic at the heart of most good myths and legends.  

Many places in Britain and across Europe claim associations with King Arthur, his court, his knights, Guinivere and Merlin. However, England's West Country, especially Cornwall and Somerset, are the areas especially associated with Arthur, whilst Wales lays claim to many of the places linked to Merlin. Here are a few claiming links to some of the key parts of Arthur's story:

Birth place: Tintagel in Cornwall has the major claim to be Arthur's place of conception and birth. However, in mythology, Arthur was borne to the Isle of Avalon, where he still lies sleeping with his knights until Britons need him again. 

Camelot: So many places claim to be the legendary home of King Arthur's court. Geoffrey of Monmouth proposed Caerleon, in Wales, which had been an important Roman centre, with an amphitheatre and baths – possibly a good place for a major post-Roman court? However, Cadbury Castle, an ancient hill fort on top of Cadbury hill, north east of Yeovil, Somerset, makes strong claims to be Camelot. After the Romans withdrew, the site appears to have been used from c.470 until some time after 580. 

Additionally, two places in Cornwall, not too far from Tintagel, Camelford on the north of Bodmin Moor, near the river Camel, and Killibury Castle, also lay claims to have been the site for Camelot.

Excalibur: Both Dozmary Pool on Bodmin Moor, Cornwall and Looe Pool south of Helston, Cornwall, have strong support for being the lake from which Arthur was given the sword Excalibur by the Lady of the Lake.

The Holy Grail: Glastonbury Tor long claimed to be the site of the Holy Grail. Glastonbury was said to have been visited by Joseph of Arimathea, who brought the Holy Grail, which the knights all searched for. 

Battles: Arthur's battles were many and took place all over Britain from the Caledonian Forest and Edinburgh and Cambuslang, near Glasgow in the North, to Carlisle, York, Lincoln and Lichfield and all those places in the South and West. His twelfth, and greatest battle, defeating the Saxons, was the Battle of Badon. The Badbury rings in Dorset, the Lansdown Hill above Bath and the nearby Solsbury Hill, all have claims made for them to be the site of that decisive battle.

Camlann-Final Battle with Mordred: There is a Slaughter Bridge in Cornwall, north of Camelford - could Arthur have receive the mortal blow here?

Final resting place: Glastonbury Abbey claims the burial site of Arthur with a cross being drawn in the 12th Century by William Camden, who claims it came from Arthur's grave. The cross carries the inscription Hic iacet Arthurus, rex quondam, rexque futurus — "Here lies Arthur, king once, and king to be"