The Crystals of The Jewelled Kingdom

All these years, you have been reading about all these mystical gems in mer-land! Well, as many of you may already know, their powers are not simply a figment of my imagination, they are actually believed to be real, and many people all over the world use these gems for their healing energies. It is also used in some magick practice, or so I learned when I came across a crystal spell book in a clothes shop whilst in the Westcountry this summer.. (!)

So, I thought in coming weeks we could scratch the surface (so to speak) and find out the true powers believed to surge from within these special stones... starting with...

Amethyst (of course!)

Where did we read about it in the series?

Um, everywhere! It is the star of the show. The royal family of The Seuds live within a beautiful Amethyst Palace - 'a huge towering violet coloured rock' in the words of Crystal.

What on earth is it?

Crystalline quartz in shades of purple, lilac or mauve. The stone was traditionally worn in ancient times to guard against drunkeness and to instill a sober mind (hence why Llyr tells Crystal that Rosie might wish to drink from an amethyst cup). The word amethyst comes from the Greek meaning "without drunkenness" and amethyst is believed to protect one from poison, and keep ones mind pure and non-corrupted. Hey, who knows, maybe this is why The Timsah's spell on Ri and Llyr was never very strong.

What else is it good for?

Amethyst has other healing powers, for example, it helps with emotional issues, such as addiction, acceptance and cooling of aggression.  Amethyst crystal therapies are also associated with physical ailments of the nervous system, the curing of nightmares and insomnia.

  It is basically the 'chill pill' of the gemstones. ;-)

Where do I get it?

Amethyst mines are in Brazil, Uruguay, Sri Lanka, Siberia, Canada, India, Bolivia, and Argentina and in the U.S.; most of the Amethyst comes from Zambia. It can also be found in some parts of the UK -  namely Scotland - and actually its presence in the Westcountry, in the books, is kind of a magical, fictional thing as opposed to factual! ;-) But it is a highly popular stone so you can pick it up in just about any crystal shop! 

Okay, so that's Amethyst! Next time, we'll cover a couple of the more obscure stones... Hope you guys enjoying the series, wherever you're at with it. New ATSKD update on the way. Yay! xoxox Love always, Josie