Grandmothers

Luke POV
Anxiously, I waited for Chloe to arrive at our spot. How would I explain everything to her? She already hates me enough. I deserve it, too.
The leaves covering the entrance rustled, causing me to jump up from my seat on the rock and face Chloe. She was hesitant to come in. Her eyes showed the hurt she felt last time she was here, and I wanted to comfort her. When I stepped towards her, she inched back, fear shadowing her eyes. Gosh, what did I do to her?
I looked down at my shoes and murmured, "I'm sorry."
When I looked back up again, her eyes had shifted to sympathy as she stepped in my direction. Chloe sat down on the rock and motioned for me to go next to her.
"I . . . " I could not continue.
What would I say?
"Just start from the beginning," Chloe murmured.
I could hear the hesitation in her gentle voice. It was as if she was still unsure as to whether or not I would hurt her again, but at the same time as if she wanted to try. "My grandmother died," I blurted.
As the weight of my words settled in once again, I was overcome with grief. Immediately, my head threw itself into my hands as I shielded myself from the world. Beside me, Chloe stiffened. She slowly wrapped her arms around my breaking body and waited wordlessly. With her comfort, I was able to continue in a few moments.
"I was so upset," I rushed, and my voice wavered, but I didn't care. "It was so sudden. I loved her dearly; she was honestly my favorite grandparent. I shouldn't have pushed you away, Chloe. I love you too much."
She said nothing for a long time.
That's it, Luke. You did it. I thought. She hates you.
Well, at least she hadn't left yet. That was a good sign.
"My grandmother died when I was in middle school," Chlie finally spoke up. "She was my inspiration; though, it wasn't very sudden. She had been in and out of the hospital for months."
I was speechless. How stupid could I be that I thought I was the only one who had ever gone through this?
"What was your grandmother like?" Chloe asked me, sitting up to look at my face.
"She was wonderful!" I sighed. "She made cookies if I wanted them. She read me her poetry even though I knew she was wary about it. She played car games with me for hours when she obviously wanted to go to bed. I loved her."
"Love," Chloe corrected.
She saw my questioning face and explained, "Just because she is no longer with us, doesn't mean you stop caring for her."
I looked down at my hands. She was so right.
"I miss her," I whispered, looking up at my beautiful girlfriend.
She scanned my face, searching for something. She must have found it, for she smiled softly.
"I love you."
I slowly leaned in to kiss her, glad when she did not pull away.
"What was your grandma like?" I wondered, moving away before our lips had time to meet.
Chloe smiled.
"She was the perfect grandma. She would cook for us and sew little clothes for our dolls and stuffed animals."
"We?" I questioned
"My sister and I."
So she had a sister.
"And she would do whatever she could to make us laugh," Chloe added.
"She sounds great!"
"I wish you could have met her," Chloe mumbled.
"I wish you could have met mine, but maybe you will someday."
She smiled at the thought of meeting my grandmother in Heaven.
"Do you think they are watching us now?" Chloe whispered.
"I don't know," I admitted, looking up at the sky.
"Do you think they would mind if I kissed you?" Chloe said.
When I looked at her, she had a playful grin on her face.
"Let's find out."
We were both grinning now.