Chapter 5: Worries

Zea’s POV

I snapped my head towards her. What?

Commander?

“Mother, what are you talking about?” I hissed.

She smiled and sat back in the car seat, her head resting on the headrest.

“You will be heading the first fleet to Roke.” She stated confidently.

I laughed hard. “I am hardly qualified.”

She looked at me. “You are more than qualified for the job.”

I looked at her incredulously.

“Why not Magnus?” I asked her.

“He is a soldier, not a leader.” She responded.

“Gerald?”

She laughed.

“Don’t be silly, he would piss his pants at the first side of trouble,”

I grinned.

“And anyway I need him here.  Gerald is my eyes and ears in the court and among the nobility.”

I looked at the road again.

“Can I choose my own crew?”

“Yes, but you are taking Kieran.”

Hell no.

“I am not taking Kieran.” I hissed.

My mother sighed. “I know that you two have a history, but he is the only one that can offer you the protection that you will need when commanding an unruly mob of vampires.”

A history? That was a bit of an understatement.

He broke my heart. In front of everybody.

Kieran MacNamillan had been my personal guard for over five years, starting from my 15th birthday, at which Duke Reynolds had made an attempt on my life. when I left for the desert.

I had this big crush on him ever since he had saved my live on my birthday. I understood he was about 400 years older than me, but give me some credit. The guy looked like he was 25 in human years.

He had refused to dance with me at the Annual Winter Gathering, my first season ball as an adult vampire and the day of my coming out. After my invitation, he had just looked at me and walked out of the room.

I had always known that he didn’t have the same feelings for me, but I thought that he was my friend.

He had betrayed me. He had made a fool of me in front of the entire court.

After that I had left for the desert. I was so sick of court dealings. Even the people that you think you can trust are not what they seemed.

“No. Absolutely not.” I responded.

Mother rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically.

“You are taking him and that’s an order. Kieran is the only one that I trust to protect you at all costs.“

I glared at her.

I cannot believe that she would order me to do this.

Why can’t she see that I can’t work with him after what he did to me?

“No.”

“If you disobey me I will disown you, and Lord Reynolds will inherit the crown after my demise. Do you want that?”

What? Is she serious?

“I don’t believe you. You would never do that.”

She took out her phone.