Chapter 16: Fear is a great substitute for love

FYI: Chloe, Helena and Darien are characters from Emmiie's The Not So Secret Life of Helena Callahan series, so the part showing Chloe's point of view is fan fiction. Komar is a spirit that has invaded Chloe's body; Chloe was originally a witch that fought vampires and other supernatural beings that threatened mankind. Why and how this is related to the current storyline will become apparent later on. Clues to this story plot can be found in my entry for Emmiie's One Shot contest, Just One Fix.

@Emmiie: I hope you like it, I had some real trouble getting Chloe's POV right, if you have suggestions, they are very welcome.

 Chloe’s POV

I woke up standing in a grubby bar. Darien and Helena were in front of me, looking questioningly.

“What?” I asked.

“Where am I?”

“Chloe?” Helena asked carefully.

“Yes?” I responded.

She shrieked and rushed over to hug me.

Whoa. Ouch! Her chainmail dress pressed painfully in my bare arms.

“What on Earth are you wearing?” I asked her and Darien started laughing.

“That’s what I told her this morning.” He said.

Helena did a little pirouette. “It is a present from Deacon. What do you think?”

I saw that in between the iron rings little diamantes were placed that twinkled in the limited amount of light that was available in the bar.

I grinned; it was just Deacon’s taste. Sleazy but expensive.

I looked around realizing that I have never been here before.

“We are in a bar?”

Darien put an arm around Helena and looked proud. “Welcome in Bloody Mondays, Your Highness. We serve any drug or alcohol that you might think off.”

He pointed to a large flat screen on the wall that displayed their current inventory.

I looked around. Although it looked grubby, its interior used to be quite chic. Separate private cubicles with black leather couches lining them. Smokey glass tables in the middle with chandeliers hanging above them. The walls were covered in burgundy velvet and the ceiling had an intricate design on it.

One side of the room spanned a huge bar, made of black wood with white art nouveau spheres that were the lamps above it. The wall behind it displayed a set of built-in shelves littered with bottles of different colours and a huge mirror behind it.

Big shiny red vases were positioned at strategic locations across the room, the huge dark feathers in them giving some privacy to the people sitting behind them.

At the middle of the space there was an elevated stage that could rotate with 5 stripper poles on it.

The bar looked like a porno-fantasy came true, I thought smilingly.

Darien pulled me out of my exploration.

“How can we be of service, your Highness?” Darien asked me.

I waved my hand dismissively. “Drop the formal address, I am still the Chloe who you saved from the werewolves. I hate these titles.”

He nodded. “As you wish.”

“Komar send me to discuss a business proposal with you. She wants you to distribute the alien blood. She needs your connection with the underworld.”