zero

Four books, a clipboard, a MacBook Pro, and a bouquet of roses. How I managed to carry all these in one arm is still a mystery to me, but that wasn't my priority when I was rummaging through my pockets for $3.00 to pay for my coffee.

"Shit," I cursed out when I realized that I left my wallet in my dorm. I was able to produce only $2.00 from forgotten change in my pockets.

"It's $3.00, ma'am," the barista nervously told me. I would have flirted my way through this as I usually do, given my reputation, but the line was getting longer, and it would take time if I tried because the barista was a woman, and women are more difficult than men to fool and flirt with.

"Can I... uhh... come back for it? I'll just get my wallet from my roo-"

"I got it," I heard a voice interrupt me. I turn around, and see a beautiful hazel-eyed brunette hand a dollar to the barista.

"Really?" I asked the brunette with genuine surprise.

She chuckled. "It's just a dollar."

"Are you sure? I can pay you back-"

"It's cool. I need the good karma anyway. Finals is killing me," she made conversation, then gave the barista her order.

"Wow. Thank you, really." I got my coffee, and stayed beside her. "Anything I can do to pay you back?"

She smiled. Huh, she's actually really cute. "It's just a dollar. It's cool, I swear."

"Really? I mean, we're in America. No one does good things without expecting something back."

She rolled her eyes in amusement. "You caught me. I totally wanted to sleep with you in exchange for a dollar," she said in the most sarcastic tone ever.

I laughed, and took a quick glance of her body. "Hey, I would do it for free."

She turned to me as she waited for her drink. With a smirk and crossed arms, she said, "I would've asked you to take me on a date first, but considering that you can't even pay for your coffee, well..." she shrugged.

I laughed again. I like her already. "I'm Lauren. Rubio."

"I know. I'm Alessandra Lévesque."

"You know me?"

"Don't flatter yourself. You know that everyone has at least heard about you."

"Hopefully all good things?"

"In bed, good things. Relationships, no." She juts her chin towards the bouquet I'm holding. "Who's the lucky girl?"

I shrugged. "Someone left them in my locker. No note. I love flowers though."

"I didn't think you were a flower person. That's cute."

I straightened my posture to assert my dominance. "You know, people are usually nervous around me."

She raised an eyebrow, and I wanted to jump her right then and there. "You're as intimidating as a puppy. I don't understand the fuss."

And in that moment, I became fully aware that I was insanely attracted to her.

"Do you want to go out with me sometime?" I blurted out when I noticed that she just got her drink, and was about to leave.

"Are you heading to the uni library, too?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go together. Maybe I'll even leave you my number."

I smiled, genuinely smiled, and that's when I knew that I was definitely going to get along with this woman.