douze

I wake up extra early today to cook breakfast for Lauren and Sam. I step out of Sam's bedroom, leaving her extremely uncomfortable sofa, and head to the kitchen.

Lauren didn't even touch her food last night.

Disappointed but having expected it, I prepare French toast and quiche, two of Lauren's favorite food to eat for breakfast.

"That smells incredible," I hear a voice say behind me as I set up the table. I turn around and find Sam sleepily grinning in excitement.

I pass her a plate of our breakfast. "Dig in," I say with a tired smile. I set up the rest of the table and sit across her, who just released the loudest moan ever after eating a heaping spoonful of my cooking.

"Oh shit," she says with her mouth full. "Man, I would marry you for this cooking if only Lauren didn't-"

"If Lauren didn't what?" I hear the pissed voice of Lauren say behind me. Sam looks above my head, and smirks.

Terrified and frozen in place, I stay still. I didn't even hear her arrive.

"Chica, you know I'm just playing," Sam replies.

I see Lauren walk to the fridge and she pours milk inside a bowl of cereal. "I'm not. You can have her, I don't care."

What the fuck? Holding back tears, I stand up and leave the table. It's too early for this.

The last words I hear from the kitchen is Sam saying, "What the fuck dude? That was a foul," before leaving Lauren alone in the kitchen.

I proceed to Sam's room and sit in my new bed-her sofa. A few seconds pass before Sam joins me in her room, her hands still carrying her plate. She sits crossed leg on her bed across me as she eats.

"You know," she starts with her mouth full, "you should've seen her face after she bitched at you. She's just trying to act tough, but man, she looked like she wanted to cry and run after you when she watched you leave."

"She hates me. I fucked up, Sam. I fucked up," I say softly.

"Let me tell you something. I have never been okay with cheating, and I swear if this were any other situation I would absolutely hate you, but I know you and Lau. I know both of you don't express much to others and y'all don't go around sulking and shit, but chica, I see it in your eyes. I know what you did was because you were fragile after she screamed at you, and that it meant nothing and you regret what you did more than anything. And Lauren, man, she is dying there. Y'all just need to talk properly when she's cooled down, and it'll all be okay. As long as Lauren doesn't let her pride eat her, at least."

"She doesn't want to talk though."

Sam shakes her head. "You do realize that she hasn't asked you to leave, right?"

"Well, yeah..."

She nods. "Listen to me. You fucked up. A lot."

I chuckle emptily. "You don't have to remind me. I'll regret it all my life."

She laughs. "Let me finish, hoe. You know the secret to gaining trust? Consistency. I know how Lau deals with these stuff. She's going to bitch and say things she doesn't mean. She's going to try to bury her feelings, and I'm sorry, but it's probably going to be through sex, so you have to prepare for that. And she's going to be really confusing and it will mess you up. But you gotta be consistent and you have to be hella resilient until her walls come down. She loves you, Alessandra. She's just really hurt."

I smile. "You're the best, you know that?"

"Yeah, well, you cook really well so I gotta find a way to keep you here, right?" she says with a chuckle, somehow lightening my mood.

"Right."