six

"I'm sorry," I nervously say to Alessandra as I drive us home. Her meeting with Juliet ended shortly after our argument in the comfort room. "I was being immature and unreasonable, and I shouldn't have snapped at you like that."

She doesn't respond.

"Are you still angry with me?" I ask with a hurting chest and shaky hands.

"Are you still an asshole?" she rebuts softly.

"No. I'm sorry. I won't comment about you and Juliet again."

"Your comments about Juliet and I aren't the issue here. It's how you responded. That was really immature, and I don't want to talk to you when you're immature."

"I'm sorry."

-

Days pass and everything progressively gets worse: Alessandra is on her phone 99% of the time when she's home (which she barely is anymore), we argue about the most shallow things, and every time I bring up Juliet, Alessandra leaves.

All I have is Francine, who is thankfully telling me about all that Alessandra has been gushing to her about. I don't know why she's doing it, but I'm grateful. All she asks is that I don't tell Alessandra about what she's telling me.

"Alessandra," I greet my girlfriend on the phone after she finally picks up. I've been trying to call her for 10 minutes to inform her of my invitation to speak for a conference. But my excitement is replaced by annoyance, thanks to her being so difficult to contact.

"Yeah?" she asks dryly. What?

"Who were you... umm... who were you on the phone with? It's just... I've noticed that you're on your phone all the time now and it's so difficult to call you lately because your phone is always busy—"

"What happened to the girl who literally said 'you can try' every time someone flirted with me?"

Growing furious, I clench my phone tighter. "So you were calling someone who's flirting with you?"

"I didn't even say that!"

"You didn't even deny it."

She shuts up.

"Is it Juliet?" I ask.

"It's not like that. I'm talking to other people too—" she pauses, realizing how bad she sounds. "Shit, wait, that's not what I meant. I—"

I end the call and shoot a text to Francine to meet me at a cafe nearby.

-

"Rubio. I got you something," I heard a sweet voice say behind me as I scanned through books for a research paper.

I turned around and spotted the cutest girl in the universe, holding a bouquet of flowers. A smile immediately found its way to my lips, and my heart jumped out of my chest.

"Wow. Hi. Oh my gosh. Are those—are those for me?" I asked as I looked behind me (which was stupid because I almost hit my face on a book because I completely forgot that a bookshelf was behind me) to check if she was talking to someone else.

She laughed. "Yeah, you dork."

I swear I almost fainted. I took the bouquet and hugged it to my chest. "Thank you so much. Wow, I didn't expect this. Like, from you. Not because you don't seem romantic or anything okay oh my gosh but because you're so out of my league and—"