Part 3: vingt-trois

(Everything from this point is from Lauren's POV)

She left.

She left this morning before I even got up.

Here's the thing about Alessandra: she's addicted to books. She always keeps 3 books on the nightstand of wherever she's sleeping. The stack is replaced every week by 3 more new books from the bookshelf she had installed on the wall in our room, which has 9 new and unread books at any given time. The finished books are kept in the floor-to-ceiling bookshelf we keep in the living room.

You see, I woke up to an empty night stand, and a bookshelf missing 6 books.

That only means she plans on being away for at least 3 weeks.

What have I done? She was so incredibly lovely last night that it scared me into asking for space. When she sang... god, when she sang, I lost it.

To make me feel worse, she made breakfast for me and Ally, who is still in bed. Waffles and bacon. To its side is a little sticky note.

Good morning :)

And that was it. That was it. No explanation. No information on where she went. No notice on when she'd come back. No I love you, no nothing.

What have I done?

"Aunt Lauren?" little Alessandra asks as she approaches me while I find myself blankly staring at the empty screen of the television. "Where's aunt Alessandra?"

I face the yawning kid. She sits on my lap and the next thing I know, I'm fighting tears.

"Why're you crying? What's wrong?" she asks worriedly.

"She left, kid. I made her leave. I messed up. I keep messing up."

"Is it aunt Alessandra? Where did she go?"

"I don't even know."

"Why won't you call her?"

I quickly bring out my phone and dial her.

It rings.

And it rings.

And she doesn't pick up.

I try again.

Nothing.

And I try 6 more times.

On the 7th, she picks up on the 3rd ring.

"Hello?" her voice rasps, sending my heart pounding.

"Hi. Hi. Umm, I... where are you?"

"Hi, sorry I couldn't pick up. I was in immigration. I'm in the airport. What's wrong?"

Airport?! "Where are you going? Where are your things? What?"

"I'm flying back home to France," she stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "You told me to leave, Lauren."

My heart stops. "I didn't mean... Alessandra..."

"My heart is so tired, Lauren. I can't have you pulling me when you want to then pushing me away when something's wrong, especially when it isn't even my fault."

"I'm sorry. You don't have to leave," I beg. "I'll be better, I promise."

"This is for you, too, Lauren. I'll be back soon, okay?"

"How soon?"

"I'll give you enough time, all right?"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, Lauren. We'll be okay. I'll be back soon, I promise."

"I'm sorry."

"Lauren, I have to go. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

"Wait."

"Yeah?"

"I love you. Please take care. There are a lot of bad things happening in France lately, so please just stay safe."

"I will. I have to go, okay? I love you."

She ends the call.

AN: I'm sorry for the late update. I got bad writer's block, but I think I may be getting it back. I love you guys and thank you for still reading 💕