Chapter 21: I Promise with a Ring and Love

Harry sits quietly on his veranda, book in hand, and eyes scanning each word typed onto the white paper. He left Louis' only around an hour ago. His butt still store but he's definitely high from last night. He never understood what all his book talked about. About how someone could love someone so much that they'd do anything for them, they'd miss or long them, even if the last time they saw each other was a minute ago.

Stories of how kisses felt, the fireworks and the fluttering of the heart whenever their lover was near. Harry always thought the authors were pulling these feelings out of their arses. But, he's experienced it now. He's experienced the fireworks, the pounding of a heart and that you would do anything for them. He knows now what it's like to be loved and to be in love.

A knock at Harry's front door startles his peacefulness. He folds the corner of the page he's on then stands up and opens the door. Paulie is standing awkwardly, hands in his pockets and hair covering half of his face. He looks up at Harry, a small timid smile on his face. "Uh, hi Harry," Paul says shyly. Harry smiles politely back before he speaks. "Hello, what are you doing here?" Harry asks.

Paulie shuffles his feet then looks away from Harry's face. "I-I um, I know what my father did to you," he whispers ever so quietly. Harry's eyes widen, he grabs Paulie's forearm and rushes him outside. He drags him along down the street to the local park nearby.

"Harry?" Paulie questions as they walk. Harry sits him down before he runs a hand through his hair. "How do you know?" is the first thing Harry asks.

Paulie swallows before answering, "He told us."

Harry furrows his eyebrows. "Us? Who the hell is us?" Harry snaps. "Us as in my family. Yesterday at dinner, father told us what he did to you and that-that he wants to resign." Paul explains with a hitch in his voice.

"He also wants to divorce my mother, and move far away from here," he continues and Harry shakes his head in disbelief.

"Father wants to resign and get a divorce. B-But what about all of you, where are you all going to go?"

Paulie sighs, "I'm leaving with him. My sisters are disgusted with him and don't want anything to do with him. My mother, well she wants him burnt at the stake, and she can't believe that she married a gay man." Harry gapes at Paulie then sits down next to him. Paulie didn't look him in the eye once when he spoke.

"But why would you want to go with your father after he beat you, he beat you for being gay, which he is anyway! You can't just forgive him like that Paulie." Harry says and Paulie gives him a quizzical look.

"My father never laid a hand on me. My mother would hit with the back of her hand or a small pan. Is that what everyone thinks, that my dad abused me?" Paulie finally looks up at Harry with shiny eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just, when you came to talk to me around a month ago your dad looked so mad and you had that bruise so- I just assumed..." Harry mutters. Paulie shrugs and sighs again before he stands up. "It's alright, I guess no one here would think a mother could abuse her child. I did only want to let you know that my dad will be leaving, and that he's still very sorry."

Harry nods before he stands as well. "I know he is, I guess this will be the last time I see you, good luck." Harry gives him a reassuring smile. "Thanks, you too, I wish the best for you and Louis." Paulie gives him a fleeting grin before he jogs off.

Harry's eyes widen at the statement. Do people know? Harry bites his lip before he walks home.

*

Louis strolls down the street, a lit smoke in his hand. Disapproving glances are thrown his way but he receives them every day that he's used to it. He walks into Yacker's Bar and orders a beer before slipping his phone out of his pocket.

1 new message

Tai: Call me

Louis frowns, but nevertheless clicks on the call button. Tai picks up after only three rings.

"Louis," Tai's voice is cold and Louis cringes. "Hi Tai, lovely day today, isn't it?"

"Don't fuck around with me Louis, a little birdy has told me that you haven't destroyed or gotten rid of the bag yet. I'd hate to see what would happen to you if the cops find it." Tai breathes down the phone and Louis can't help but scrunch up his face at the tone.

"Look, I just need-" Louis starts but Tai cuts him off.

"Time? Well I'm sorry but you don't have any fucking time. If you don't get rid of this bag, you, Niall and I will all being heading straight to jail, and I will make sure to make your time a living hell!" Tai shouts down the line before he hangs up.

Louis glares at his phone before he downs the rest of his beer.

*

Zayn's brown eyes glance over the hundreds of different rings, bracelets and necklaces all secured in glass containers. He's looking for something to give Liam, but none of these pieces of jewellery are catching his eye.

"Excuse me sir, would you like some help?" Zayn looks over to the shop attendant and is almost blinded but her bleached white teeth. Zayn clears his throat before nodding. "Uh, yes, I'm looking for a promise ring."

*

Liam sits on his bed, a play station controller in his hand as he plays one of his older car racing games. He squints is eyes and moves closer to the screen and presses his fingers on the buttons harder as if it will help the car go faster. "Come on, come on, come on, yes!" Liam grins and does a victory shimmy when suddenly he hears his bedroom window open. Liam jumps when a head with black hair pops up.

Liam quickly stands up and scrambles over to the other side of the room. Zayn's lean body slips through the window and small but cheeky smile on his lips. "Hey," he says casually.

Liam frowns. "Zayn? What the hell are you doing here? My parents are just down stairs." Liam rushes his words and Zayn simply shakes his head. "I don't care. I came here for you."

Liam sighs, "Why? Zayn, we're not together anymore you can't just come here." Zayn moves closer, ignoring Liam's words. "I've been going." Zayn says suddenly cutting off Liam's panicking.

"Going, going where?" Liam asks. Zayn rubs the back of his neck. "I've been going to...anger management. I don't-don't like hurting you Liam, emotionally or physically. I know that's hard to believe especially since, well you know. But it's true. I want you and I need you back in my life and I know the only way I can do that is if I stop- hurting you."

Liam's eyes are wide with shock. "Zayn I don't know what to say..." Liam says honestly and Zayn nods. "I know, I didn't expect you to say much. Liam I need to know if-if you still want me...if you still love me."

Liam sighs before he settles on the back on the bed. "I'm not going to lie, I still love you, I miss you like crazy but I can't do this if you're going to treat me how you used to."

Zayn moves onto the bed with Liam and grabs one of his hands. "Obviously I'm not completely cured or fixed, but I'm trying so hard. I want to give you this." Zayn smiles softly before handing Liam the small black box that contains the promise ring.

Liam gives Zayn a questionable look before he opens the case. A plain silver ring is inside. Engraved on the inside of the ring is a small heart. "Zayn..." Liam whispers as he gazes at the simple but beautiful ring.

"It's up to you Li." Zayn mutters quietly before pressing a chaste kiss to the corner of Liam's pink lips before he hops out of the window and leaves Liam with a lot on his mind.

A/N
Sorry for any typos. Please vote and comment if you liked! xxx