Chapter One: Things Get Really Weird Really Fast

Chapter One

Things Get Really Weird, Really Fast

Dedicated to Mercedes, because, you know, she's awesome.

****

 I want to know what you would do if you woke up with your face planted into a pillow, the alarm blaring, wearing a pair of boxer shorts and nothing else. Also, everything is a little blurry. And you don’t wear boxer shorts to bed. Normally, you’re a girl.

Yeah, I’d freak out too, which is what I did.

For a moment, it didn’t sink it. I sat up, glancing around a room that wasn’t mine. It was neat for a boy, with rock band posters on the wall and books lined up neatly on the bookshelf. All the dirty clothes were in a hamper and the floor was clear.

I was momentarily impressed. And then I started freaking out again.

Who was I?

I mean, whose body was I in?

I snuck out the door and peeked down a carpeted hallway. I had to find the bathroom and figure this out.

There were four doors lining the hall to my left and a staircase leading down to my right. Carefully, I pushed open the first door. It was a bedroom. A teenage guy was sprawled under his sheets, snoring.

I moved on, and opened the next door. Bingo! It was the bathroom.

I was eager to look in the mirror, to figure this all out. When I did so, I nearly had a panic attack. I mean another one.

Staring back at me was a very cute, astonished looking boy with freckles splashed across his nose and wide brown eyes. His hair was brown and relatively short. I also happened to know this kid.

It was my secret crush, Ryder.

Ryder and I were decent friends, which is why I had never told him the truth. One, because we were friends, and, two, because it would never happen.

And now I was staring at Ryder in the mirror. Ryder, whose body I seemed to be residing in. That meant that the teenage guy in the bedroom had to be Seth, his older brother.

What was I going to do?

First of all, I needed to find myself.

No, not like that, thank you. Where the heck did Ryder keep his cell phone?

I could only assume that if I was in Ryder’s body, he was in mine. I leaned against the bathroom counter. What if he was? He could be in my room right now. All he had to do was open the notebook on the bedside table and read my diary.

Then he would know. My life was complicated enough already, and now this.

Just then, static filled my ears. I staggered backward. There was a screech of feedback, and then a voice.

“Sorry about that Blue,” said a crackly voice.

“Where’s that coming from?” Now I was hearing voices in my head. That couldn’t be good.

“Your earpiece, dummy. This is HQ,” said the voice.

“My earpiece…?” I murmured.

“Yeah, you know, the one implanted in your eardrum? Keeps you in constant contact with me? Hello…Blue…”

“Blue? What the heck is blue?” I demanded, standing up. I hoped no one woke up and heard me (er, Ryder) talking to myself.

“What’s up, agent?” the voice sounded sharper this time.

“Agent? I don’t know who the heck this invisible voice in my head is, but it needs to go away!” I said.

“Let me give you a brief, Blue. You’re the one and only teenaged member of S.H.I.E.L.D. You’re assigned to protect Amber Powell.”

I was startled to hear my name. Confusion whirled through me.

“You mean m-m..." I cut myself off from finishing that sentence. "Isn’t S.H.I.E.L.D that super hero thing?” I asked dazedly. “What do you mean assigned to protect?”

“Amber Powell is Nick Fury’s niece. Her parents were killed by an international villain when she was a toddler. She was adopted and currently has no idea who she is. She is the only thing Nick Fury cares about. It is your objective to keep her safe.”

Wait…WHAT?! There was literally a tornado blasting through my skull right now. Somebody had to be playing a cruel joke. First, being switched into Ryder’s body, and then learning that he was an agent who worked for a fictional government program, and then that he was protecting me, who just happened to be the only thing Nick Fury cared about.

And I thought I was normal.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said slowly, trying not to keep my voice from shaking. “I remember now.”

“Please do not play jokes with me, Blue,” said the voice on the other line.

I exited the bathroom and headed back to Ryder’s room, hoping against hope that the voice would stop speaking.

“So why are you contacting me?” I asked, anxious to get the voice off line.

“There’s a problem. A hacker has accessed all of S.H.I.E.L.D’s files. We don’t know how much they know.”

“So Amber could potentially be in danger?” I asked. It sounded weird, referencing my name in third person, like I was Elmo or something.

“Yes.”

“So I’m supposed to pull my secret agent skills and protect her?” I asked tiredly, rubbing a hand over my face.

I had zero ninja skills. This was not going to be good.

“That would be your job,” said the voice.

“I hope I get paid for this,” I muttered, entering Ryder’s room.

“What was that?” asked the voice.

“Nothing,” I said, closing the door and leaning against it.

“If that is all, I’ll leave you to your work,” said the voice, and it was silence again.

I was left wondering if I’d imagined all that.

What was I supposed to do? WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?

I was in Ryder’s body. I was Nick Fury’s niece. S.H.I.E.L.D really existed. Ryder was a secret agent. My mind was blown. Order a straightjacket now, because I was officially going insane.