Chapter Four: This is Crazy, Insane, and Impossible. What's New?

Chapter Four:

The is Crazy, Insane, and Impossible. What's new?

Steve Rogers: Stark, are you seeing any of this?

Tony Stark: Seeing, still working on believing.

-From the Avengers

I was in math class, watching the minutes tick by on the clock. Usually, I loved school, but either Ryder’s disinterest was wearing off on me, or I was too distracted to pay attention.

The phone in my back pocket suddenly buzzed. I nearly jumped out of my seat and glanced around quickly to see if anyone had noticed. Everyone was either sleeping or busy not paying attention. One girl, Shauna, I thought her name was, smiled brightly when I accidently looked at her.

I tried to mask an involuntary scowl. First reason: ew. I was still a girl inside. Two, I was dismayed that any other girl would be looking at Ryder that way. Yes, I know it was weird, but I was jealous.

I pulled the phone out of my pocket, astonished at my bravery. I had never snuck-texted in class before. However, I was guessing that Ryder had, and had gotten caught too. That lessened my fear a little bit.

Which lunch do u have? As I had guessed, it was Ryder.

I texted him back and figured out that we have the same lunch break. Huh, funny how I never knew that before. I wondered if he’d been sitting with Shauna instead of me.

I was such a bundle of nerves I couldn’t eat, so when I went to the cafeteria, I didn’t bother with the line. I started scanning the room for Ryder, having no idea what to expect.

After a moment, I realized I had to look for myself, not him.

I spotted him – or me – sitting with my best friends, Elizabeth and Drew. It was disorienting. I shook my head and made my way over to their – my – table.

If I didn’t end up in an institution by the end of the day, it would be a miracle. I plopped down next to Ryder, who looked like me.

Elizabeth and Drew nudged him and I sincerely hoped that I wasn’t flushing. I wished I could clue them in, but I didn’t know how.

I couldn’t help studying myself, because, seriously, who gets this opportunity? My crazy golden-brown curls were in a very sloppy ponytail, and I was wearing a Beatles t-shirt, a pair of flared jeans, and my ratty high tops.

I could barely suppress my snort. He hadn’t even tried.

“Hey, Ryder,” giggled Elizabeth, nudging me. That is Ryder. That is…ugh, I was so confused. Ryder looked as if he had no idea what was going on either, and I sincerely hoped he would never figure it out.

“Hey,” I said.

“I need to go to the bathroom,” announced Drew.

“Me too,” echoed Elizabeth.

They both got up and walked off, casting a giggling look backward.

“That was weird,” said Ryder.

“You didn’t even try,” I snapped.

“What are you talking about?” asked Ryder, looking irritated.

“You could have at least put on some flats. And you’re not even wearing earrings,” I said.

“I’m a guy,” said Ryder.

“Not today, you’re not,” I said.

Ryder made a disgusted sound. “You are so annoying.”