Chapter Two: Despite Everything, I Still Have to go to School

Chapter Two:

Despite Everything, I Still Have to go to School

Dedicated to my newest follower, ZoeDay1008. I appreciate it.

*****

I tried to calm myself down, taking a few deep breaths.

Okay, first order of business, get dressed. I could deal with one thing at a time.

I pulled open Ryder’s closet door and stared at the neatly hung clothes. I pulled something random off of the hangers, and I must have done something wrong, because all of a sudden the back of the closet retracted, revealing a safe.

“What the…?” I said, leaning forward.

A red light flashed and I leapt backward.

Then the door to the safe swung open. I was staring at a pile of cash, three fake passports, a manila folder, a very dangerous looking handgun, a case of bullets, and a lethal knife.

I suddenly felt a lot like Jason Bourne.

“Please tell me this isn’t happening. Please tell me this isn’t happening,” I said. But it was happening. And there was nothing I could do about it. I really needed to get a hold of Ryder.

Just then, One Direction’s song What Makes You Beautiful started blasting through the room. I jumped, and then realized it must be Ryder’s ringtone. I couldn’t help grinning.

I tried to track down the sound and found the phone charging on top of the bookshelf. I ripped off the charger and found the talk button.

“Hello?” I said, praying that it was me. That is, Ryder. You know, never mind.

“Amber?” asked a scared, hesitant voice.

It was my voice, asking for me. Ryder. It had to be.

“Ryder, thank goodness. Please tell me you know what’s going on,” I said.

“I have no idea,” said Ryder.

“Oh, and 1D, seriously? You are busted,” I said.

“Amber, this is not the time for that.” Ryder sounded panicked, and I should know, because that’s what I usually sounded like.

“BTW, I know you’re a secret agent for S.H.I.E.L.D. I know you’re assigned to protect me. I know I’m Nick Fury’s niece. So, if that’s what you’re worried about, all taken care of,” I said. I must not have pulled off the sarcastic tone because I heard Ryder sigh.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” he said.

“Amen,” I replied. “What’s with the safe?”

“That too?” he exclaimed. “The safe is voice activated and requires a retina scan and…” he trailed off. “Oh.”

“HQ also said a hacker broke into their database and I, actually, you, may be in danger,” I said. “Why are you called Blue, anyway?”

“Long story,” said Ryder. “We’ve got to go to school,” said Ryder, quickly changing the subject. “Get dressed and take the handgun. Tuck it in your back waistband. Oh, and don’t forget to put on my glasses.”

“The world did seem a little blurry,” I said. “And I am not going to school. Not as you.”

“Gee, thanks,” said Ryder sarcastically.

“I don’t mean it like that,” I said. “It’s just…you’re a secret agent with ninja abilities and I’m…not.”

There was a slight pause, as if Ryder were thinking of what to say.

“Don’t sweat it. I tried to do a front flip this morning and it didn’t work. So, presumably, you still have my abilities,” said Ryder.

“Don’t make me go to school,” I whined.

“We’ve got to do this, Amber,” said Ryder. “We’ve got to act normal and figure this thing out. I’d rather talk face to face because this is not a secure line.”

“Oh. Okay,” I said.

Before I could say anything else, Ryder hung up.

*****

So...? What did you think?

Vote and Comment, please!

Random question of the day...who is your favorite superhero?

My favorite is Ironman because he's so funny and sarcastic. Plus, he has that awesome suit. You should have seen me the day Iron Man 3 came out on DVD. I was literally doing a happy dance.