Epilouge

Epilouge

-------

         It was a beautiful summer day. Above them, the sky was a bright, brilliant blue. The emerald green of trees blurred as they sped down another highway, getting closer and closer to New York.

            Amber sat in the passenger seat with an envelope in her lap. She ripped it open and assorted items tumbled out. She picked up a fake ID, a passport, a roll of bills in several different currencies that were either laundered or counterfeited.

            “When did you get such suspicious friends?” she asked.

            Ryder shrugged. They were in a way too expensive Mercedes, the license faked and the papers registering it under his fake name in the glove compartment.

            “I have connections,” he said with a grin. “So,” he added, taking up his hand in hers. “To Spain?”

            “Yeah,” said Amber, echoing his smile. “I was thinking Madrid.”

            “And when S.H.I.E.L.D tracks us there?” he asked.

            “France. After that, India. I want to go everywhere!” exclaimed Amber. “Even if it is on the run.”

            “The letters are delivered and the goodbyes are final. It feels so good to be done with everything, to never have to look back,” said Ryder.

            Amber sighed. “Yes. I wish we could have both, our old lives and this new one, but I guess that’s not possible.”

            They pulled into the city, Ryder searching for their destination. Suddenly, a pedestrian flew out of nowhere and rolled across their hood.

            A face was momentarily smashed against their window.

            “Was that…?” asked Ryder, mouth agape.

            “It was,” said Amber.

            “Tony Stark,” he finished.

            Then the billionaire in charge of Stark Industries dashed across the street, nearly getting hit again by an angry cabby.

            They watched with wide eyes.

            “That doesn’t bode well,” said Amber.

            “Let’s get out of here before we get pulled into another S.H.I.E.L.D mess.”

            “Agreed,” said Amber firmly. “Step on it!”

----------

          Tony was still running, a cellphone now pressed to his ear. “JARVIS now would be fantastic.”

            A gold and red streak like a comet hurtling to earth came right at him. Tony braced himself as Mark-31 smashed into him. He opened his eyes and hurtled up into the sky.

            Unmarked vehicles were racing from all directions, barricading the road. Agents poured out of the cars. A familiar voice called through a megaphone, “Tony Stark, you are under arrest for aiding and abetting a criminal of the state. All charges may be dropped against you if you tell us where Dean Kard is!”

            Tony could sense the desperation in her voice. “Ha! I don’t know!” he said.

            “Come down right now, Tony, or we will shoot you out of the sky,” said Melissa.

            “You S.H.I.E.L.D agents. You’re so funny,” said Tony.

            “Tony, I am warning you,” said Melissa. “Just come down now.”

            “Um, no,” said Tony. “Bye!”

             And then he was gone. Down on the pavement below, Agent Melissa Owens swore. Another dead end. Another false lead.

            How was a Level 3 S.H.I.E.L.D agent barely out of school staying hidden so effectively? How had Dean Kard managed to convince one of the richest and most powerful men in the world to help him? Who was Penny? Where was Loki?

            And how was this all tied together? One person knew, and his name was Nick Fury.

            “Uh…Agent Owens?” said a tentative voice.

            Melissa whirled on the cowering agent. “We’re going back to headquarters. Now. There’s someone I have to talk to.”

----------

        This story is offically COMPLETED!

        If you liked this one, I should be coming out with another Marvel fan-fic sometime this summer. I hinted about it in this epilouge.

        Thank you SO MUCH for reading this story and sticking with Amber and Ryder.

        Please vote and comment one last time.

        Thanks again! :)

        ~PolishedPoetry