Chapter Seven: Bullets

Captain America: (slamming Hydra weapon down) S.H.I.E.L.D's been making weapons.

-From the Avengers

***

I didn't know what happened.

We were standing under cover, waiting for our attackers to show themselves. Then Ryder cried out, in pain or in fear, I didn't know which.

He clutched at his eyes as if he'd gone blind and then I realized something. He had.

"They turned it off," he said in a strangled voice.

"What?" I asked, startled.

"My vision. They t-"

He was cut off mid-sentence. Then he collapsed and didn't get up.

I screamed. I couldn't help it. I had almost lost him not an hour before and he had died right before my eyes.

"Relax," said a crisp female voice.

I whipped my head around, trying to find where it had originated from.

"Right here," said another voice. It was male this time.

I looked up the rise and saw two people all in black standing not far from me. One was a dark-haired woman and the other a muscular man. And they were both carrying guns.

I glanced at Ryder's prone body, suddenly wishing for some of his fearless courage.

"Don't come any closer," I said, trying to sound firm. My voice shook.

"He's not dead, if that's what you're wondering," said the woman.

"Who are you?" I demanded. I stepped forward, over Ryder, wondering if they were lying or telling the truth.

"We're from S.H.I.E.L.D," said the man. "I'm Agent Evans and this is my partner, Agent Rhodes."

Agent Rhodes nodded and tucked her gun in her belt.

"Prove it," I said. They both looked at me. "Prove that you're from S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Your name is Amber Powell and Nick Fury is your uncle," said Evans dryly. "Is there anything else?"

"You could be the hacker. You could know that," I said. "Give me something else."

"Your boyfriend is in serious trouble. The hack wasn't about you, it was about him," said Evans.

Rhodes shot him an astonished look. "Derrick! What...?"

"Classified, Emilee," said Evans, dismissing her. "Let's get the subject in the car. You're right, the hackers are on to us. And they'll arrive any minute now."

There was the sound of crashing metal up on the road. Both the agents whirled toward the noise, guns drawn. There were two shots, loud and echoing in the stillness.

The two S.H.I.E.L.D agents went down. Evans was dead, I could see that instantly. They had put a bullet in his head. Agent Rhodes had moved slightly at the sound of her partner being shot. She had been hit in the left shoulder. I couldn't tell if she was alive.

Three figures flew down from the road, from the source of the noise. Their faces were covered.

A force pulled me out of sight. At first I thought it was Ryder but then I realized he was still lying on the ground, unconscious. Agent Rhodes had grabbed me and was pulling me along at a swift pace, speaking into thin air.

"They came out of nowhere. Evans is down. Hasbrook is unconscious and injured. I've got Amber."

"Hey!" She was gripping my arm too tightly, pulling me along at an incredible rate. "We can't leave them behind!"

Rhodes pulled me close to her, a fierce look in her eyes. "We have to, Powell. They're after Hasbrook and shot me and Evans to diminish any threat. They don't care that we got away. There is no way to save them. If we try, we get killed."

I was stunned to silence.

"There's a pick-up sight not far from here. If we're quick enough, we can make the next run."

She started pulling me again and I didn't protest. Something terrible had just happened. Someone - a good guy - was dead, and Ryder might as well be.

Tears stung my eyes, whipped across my face from the wind of our passage. Rhodes was right. Nobody was following us.

What was it about Ryder? Why did they want him? Who were they?

I added these questions to a mounting list and tried to stop crying. We were going to S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters and I was glad.

I had a lot of questions for my uncle.

***

Oh! Plot twist!

Sorry for the late update. I had a history project that I was freaking out about.

Incredible amount of reads, which is awesome, but an incredibly pathetic amount of comments. Come on.

I promise to give you Ironman's home address if you comment and vote.

Wait, he already did that. Never mind.

Just vote and comment.

Lots of thanks!