Chapter Sixteen: Let's Do This

Chapter Six: Let's Do This

****

Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by...

[Hulk flattens Loki with repeated smashes into the floor]

The Hulk: Puny god.

****

Ryder woke up with a terrible headache. He hurt all over and his senses were fuzzy.

Loki was supposed to be a god, right? If the serum –Loki’s blood – had fully infiltrated his system, then he was as similar to Loki as any human being on the planet.

If this is as good as it gets, being a god sucks.

S.H.I.E.L.D was going to owe him big time for this, if he got out of it alive.

“So our patient is awake, I see?”

Ryder groaned, laying his head back and closing his eyes. “You again.”

“Such a cheerful greeting. Honestly, I expected you to be dead by now,” said Loki.

“Sorry to disappoint you.” Ryder yanked at his arm restraints. “Are you going to let me get up now?”

“That depends,” said Loki, “Will you be civil?”

“I can try.”

“Excellent,” said Loki. He pulled out a key ring and unlocked each cuff. Ryder sat up from the hospital bed and started twisting his wrists around, attempting to get his blood circulation back.

The fuzziness was fading now, and he felt stronger than he ever had before. Indomitable, almost. There was no pain, there was no fight.

It hadn’t been like this since he had first been diagnosed. Why hadn’t he given in before?

You didn’t know it would be like this.

“What do you want?” asked Ryder bluntly. “You know what I can do. What is it you want?”

“No one can find me the information I seek except for you,” said Loki. “It’s located in S.H.I.E.L.D, somewhere I can’t find.”

“Hmm. Surprising. There must be a hacker somewhere who can get in. No fortress is infallible.”

“Eloquent,” said Loki, “But untrue. This information is kept exclusively in Fury’s head and within the Maze.”

“Then you’re screwed because I can’t get in there. No one can,” said Ryder.

“I figured as much. I don’t want you to go into the Maze, I want you to go inside Fury’s head,” said Loki.

“He’s the only mind besides yours that I can’t breach,” answered Ryder.

“You’re stronger now. You could do battle with me if you chose. It would be a short battle, yes, but even that would be a feat,” said Loki.

“A little arrogant, are we?” asked Ryder.

“Supercilious, I would say,” said Loki.

“I won’t do it. I am not going to give up S.H.I.E.L.D,” said Ryder firmly.

“The information I want you to retrieve is hardly damaging to S.H.I.E.L.D. It is only I that need it,” said Loki.

“Yes, and then I would know your secret and you would kill me. Or you would try,” said Ryder. “Can I die now?”