Chapter 7

"What's wrong with you dobe?" Sasuke asked, stopping next to his best friend who is panting. Isn't he always the one with the most stamina? Why is he the first one to bend over to take in huge lungfuls of air? "Teme! I'm just hungry! Deal with it!" Naruto lied, shaking his fist at the duck butt hairstyle boy. It's getting harder to breathe. Naruto thought to himself as he glared at the Uchiha. "Che. Dobe." Sasuke said and subconsciously dismissed Naruto to go to their other friends. Naruto sighed secretly to himself. Every single time. Every time Naruto wants to say something to Sasuke or anyone in their friendship group for the matter, he gets dismissed without a second thought and when someone else tries to say something the rest were all eyes and ears. What shall I do with Itachi... Naruto thought as he vaguely registered Gai shouting something about youth and something about holidays. Naruto's eyebrows shot up. That's it! Ding ding ding! Light bulb.

"Itachi?"
"Yes beautiful?" Itachi asked, his deep voice soothed Naruto. The older man pulled Naruto closer and turned his head to peck Naruto on the forehead. Itachi smiled softly when he heard Naruto giggle, the boy's face brightened visibly. Naruto looked up at him, staring at him for a bit before he opened his mouth to speak. "W-would you like to go on a road trip with me for the one week holiday?" Naruto asked shyly, afraid Itachi would shoot him down. "If y-you're busy, you don't have to reschedule for me. It's okay." Naruto had learnt it the hard way once that Itachi would do anything for Naruto. Itachi had postponed all his activities for that day just to spend the day with Naruto just because the blond had asked if Itachi wanted to have some afternoon snack with him at this new cafe Naruto found. There was another time where Naruto had commented saying he wanted to eat takoyaki and the next hour when they met, Itachi had drove all the way to this far away Takoyaki shop just so Naruto could have the takoyaki he wanted - from the exact store that he had talked about earlier on. Naruto didn't dare to talk about any cravings or wants that are too over the top ever again, he didn't want Itachi to put aside everything else just to tend to him. But this time... He could tell. He could tell his time is getting even shorter. Better spend the rest of my remaining time making good memories.
Itachi looked at him in surprise. "Sure." Itachi answered in a heartbeat.
"You sure you don't have anything on during next week?"
"Yes."
"Hundred percent?" Naruto asked, narrowing his blue eyes at Itachi as if daring him to lie to him. Hypocrite. You lie to Itachi too.
"Yes." Itachi said patiently, not at all annoyed by the blond's antics. Naruto eyed him for a little while longer before he beamed at taller man. Itachi's lips involuntarily curled up into a smile to return to Naruto. "Dinner at my place?" Itachi asked as they head towards the car.
"Mikoto-San wouldn't mind?" Naruto asked, looking worried.
"When has kaa-San ever minded when such a gorgeous angel comes over?" Itachi teased, flicking the tip of Naruto's nose lightly. Naruto rubbed his nose, glaring playful at Itachi who laughed at Naruto's cute angry pout. Naruto jolt in surprise, a shiver ran down his spine. That laugh... It never seizes to make him feel so... So alive. His laugh wasn't loud but it wasn't silent either, it was like a deep velvety laugh that was so smooth and so melodic. Naruto closed his eyes and enjoyed the feeling, knowing it might be one of the very last time he will ever hear that laugh ever again.
Itachi frowned slightly. There it is again, Naruto acting different and weird. He's sure the boy himself doesn't notice it but Itachi could see the signs as if they were flashing neon and fire works were going off behind it. Something is up. I should find out quick.

"Oooooo! Nice to see you Naruto-kun!" Mikoto cooed, enveloping Naruto into a bear hug, physically lifting the tiny boy off the ground. Everyone looked at each other surprised. Mikoto, the small petite woman, had just lifted Naruto cleanly off the ground! She set him down cautiously as if he would break. Naruto smiled sheepishly and awkwardly as he tried to back away from Mikoto. Don't ask questions. Please don't ask questions. I can't keep the food down. Just don't ask questions. I know I'm losing weight but don't ask questions I don't have an answer to. Naruto chanted in his own mind. Itachi blocked his path, Fugaku also shifted, effectively cornering the blond. Oops.
"Where do you think you're going?" Mikoto asked, the sound of door opening reached them.
"Uhhh, what are you guys doing with Naruto?" Naruto's eyes darted to meet Sasuke's, his face begging the other Uchiha to help him.
"Help me teme." Naruto mouthed.
"Don't you dare interfere Sasuke." Mikoto warned.
"What's going on?" Naruto turned to glare at Sasuke and Mikoto took the opportunity to show Sasuke the problem. She lifted Naruto up cleanly off the ground. Naruto 'eeped ' in surprise. Sasuke's eyes narrowed at Naruto. "You're not eating?" Sasuke asked.
"I am!" Naruto argued but the Uchihas glared at him.
"It doesn't seem like it." Itachi said softly.
"You can't blame me for my fast metabolism. I'm always hungry but I can't always be eating right?" Naruto said, weaving a small lie. He does have fast metabolism but nowadays no matter what he eats he either can't eat a lot or can't keep it down. He keeps losing his appetite.
"Let's get you some food." Mikoto steered Naruto into the kitchen and asked a cook to prepare the food whilst the rest of them have a chat. Don't asked any questions about it pleaseeeeee.