Chapter 22

"Actually he probably did." A passing nurse said, making them all look up.
"Didn't he save a few people when a building collapsed a few weeks ago?" One of the male nurses sitting at a table nearby asked. The first nurse rolled her eyes and sighed. "That was ages ago. Think about the nearer dates."
"What? Like he helped in that Uchiha's surgery? Or the day before when someone tried jumping off the building. Or a little after that when a drug user threatened a worker's safety and he was just like yep yep lets be friends-"
"Okay okay. See. He saved lives, with and without knowing. He saved your life too Obito-sama, I apologise but I'm going to speak bluntly here. You wouldn't be sitting here if he hadn't seen your clipboard and realised that something had went wrong. He literally burst into the operating room in that bloody wheelchair he needs and forced himself to stand when he barely had any strength left." The uchihas froze, they hadn't known.
"You guys didn't know because he said not to mention anything because he didn't want you guys to know he was here." Sasuke buried his face in his hands, thinking about why he didn't notice. Itachi sniffled, pressing his lips together. Obito squeezed his girlfriend's hand as he sent a silent prayer for Naruto. Fugaku and Mikoto were both looking down with grim faces. Shisui was looking away, he felt like he was going to cry thinking about how Naruto doesn't deserve this bad karma. "Hey, um, Itachi-sama... He said he really love you, he was crying when he told us he broke up with you because he didn't want to hurt you. He was hurting himself too, please don't be mad at him, I beg you. He was really sentimental yeah? He made you a photo album he told us, it was really cute. I'm sorry." She said, wiping away her tears. She was feeling it too. She could still remember vividly the hurt in the angel's voice and the extreme anguish on his face. Such a strong beautiful person shouldn't cry, whoever that made them cry deserves to die in the deepest darkest pits of hell.
"It's okay sweetie. Do you know Naruto well?" Mikoto asked gently, offering a tissue to wipe her tears.
"We all know him. He works here." At the blank, confused faces of the uchihas they elaborated. "He is after all Tsunade-sama's ward, he is basically her apprentice. He learns really fast, he just needs to listen to it or read it once." She snapped her fingers to emphasise her point that he was a fast learner.
"What does he work as here?"
"He just goes around making sure people are comfortable and happy. But he is unofficially a doctor." She said, waving her hand. "People are missing him already, he goes do his rounds almost everyday but he gradually stopped because his body can't keep up. He got tired easily, I'm sure you would have noticed." She looked pointedly at Itachi and Sasuke seeing as they have the most contact with him. The two nodded silently. She smiled softly, bowing slightly before walking away. Sasuke wanted to cry. He did noticed that Naruto gets tired and winded really easily but he brushed it off. He noticed it! He noticed the signs but he ignored it! Sasuke wanted someone to strangle him and hit him to knock some sense into him. He received a smack on his arm harshly. "Stop beating yourself up about it brat." Obito's girlfriend said.
"But!-"
"No buts! He didn't say anything for a reason. This is the exact reason! He doesn't want any of us to worry, you idiot. He might seem carefree and idiotic at times but he is really smart, always thinking ahead of the game."
"Ne ne, let's not worry about it to much now and let's eat." Mikoto coaxed.

Itachi immediately excused himself after eating, he disappeared down the hallway where Naruto's room is and they all knew where he was trying to go. He hasn't spoken a word since he left the angel's room and now he is heading back in after the almost inaudible excuse. He hasn't cried nor expressed any emotions. He just sat there blankly, looking lost. Poor child. They are both hurting and neither of them know what to do. They are running by instinct and they are probably doing it right. Itachi and Naruto are both beautiful and caring people, they would care for each other more than anything and anyone else. That, is definitely all they need to get through this.
Each other.