5. Agreed

Chapter 5: Agreed

Ammar's POV

The birds were singing, fresh air was blowing through the beautiful blooming flowers and with it is a flurry of scented breeze and that's probably the only thing that's keeping me calm at the moment.

The weather was exceptionally nice today. Its the type of weather that makes you feel confident, comfortable and happy. But I feel the opposite of all that. I feel lost, confused, irritated, uncomfortable and sad. My life has taken a twist when i agreed to Ahmad's stupid bet.  And now i am paying the consequence by getting married. 

I was sitting alone in my hideout, the attic. Its more like the 3rd floor than an attic but who cares we still call it attic. Today I am hiding from my family and family friends that keep visiting to congratulate me since the news of my marriage has spread like Oando filling station is on fire.

I only met her once okay twice..... Oh make that three times because I saw her on her graduation day but we didn't really talk. My Abba thought its enough for me to decide if I want to marry her but I was being too slow so he 'helped'  me make the decision. After his inspirational talk and mummy's long speech and their praises plus Ammi's endless calls, I couldn't turn them down so I only prayed that she would reject me. But that was a wishful thought.

Apparently her cousins are getting married soon so her dad wanted her to be one of the brides. Does that even make sense? Shouldn't a person get married when they want to.

"Ammar, you fool what are you thinking about? I've been shouting your name since forever! - what are you doing in the attic? " Ahmad's loud shrilled voice jolted me back to reality. He was panting like a dog. He most have been looking everywhere for me.

" Are you deaf? Dude, are you thinking about the marriage thing? " he teased but I could see his worried and apologetic expression.

I have decided to forgive him for putting me in this mess. Ahmad is two years older than me but we grew up together like best friends. He's my half brother. His mum passed away when Amrah and I were merely five years old. Amrah is his full sister. Mama gave birth to only the two of them. I was closer to her than my own mum. She meant alot to me and I was devastated and sick for a while when she passed away.

May her soul rest in peace. I really miss her even after 22 years.

"No! I think you are the one with ear problem. Why are you shouting?"  I tried to change the topic. He cleared his throat and answered 'uhm'

"Anyways its time for Zuhr and while looking for you our masjid has already prayed. Now thanks to you, we have to go to the other one at the other end of the street." he groaned

I got up and walked towards the door avoiding a ladder and skipping some pile of woods. Abba was renovating the attic for 'my bride' since he wants us to stay in the house for a while before I am ready to move out. The place is bigger than an attic. It had a medium sized bedroom and bathroom. There's a small kitchen which had only electric cooker and a refrigerator, there is a storage room adjacent to it. The sitting room was huge enough to accommodate four large sofas with a two and three-sitters among them.

When we first moved here I liked it alot, we started calling it attic to look like the cool kids. Childish nah?  It has been my hideout since then. 

"we will gain extra reward for walking to the masjid then" I tapped his shoulder and sprinted. He followed me in the same manner.

******

Ahmad's POV

I know I kinda tricked my brother into this but it wasn't entirely intentional. I tried to get him out of the marriage deal I put him in but my parents are just too powerful. Their speech is powerful and they won't even let you talk. Plus Hafsat's family is not helping,  it looks like they want to marry her off as soon as possible.

I really didn't expect it to turn out this way. I thought Abba would give him time and let him decide but he kept bothering him so much that Ammar couldn't think any longer and accepted to marry her.

I mean Abba asked him for an answer every time he sees him. That is, after every salat including subhi and during dinner and while watching the news. He kept on emphasizing how good she is and how amazing her parents are and how happy he would be if he accepted to marry her. So he didn't have much of a choice especially when Abba mention that the girl lost her birth parents in a car accident and was adopted by her present parent. That was sort of an emotional blackmail because Abba knew that even though Ammar is stiff like this, he still had a warm heart and won't be able to reject her after hearing that fact. 

I sincerely feel guilty for putting my brother in this complicated situation but I hope and pray it turns out for the best. I hope she changes him. 

After we prayed zuhr we started walking back home in silence which he broke "I don't want to go home now. There are too many visitors"  he said a little depressed. I stopped to face him. He looked too depressed making me feel even guiltier than I already was.

" Don't be like that. They are here to see your fine face" I joked and he glared at me. "Do you want to go and eat some really nice waffles?" 

"Your treat" he said excitedly and I nodded. I knew he wouldn't turn down a treat especially waffles. We stopped a cab and it drove us to our favorite waffle place.

"What was your wish?" I asked Ammar on our way.

"Uhm? What wish?" His head rested on the seat with his eyes closed.

"You sad if Abba doesn't introduce me to a girl I would answer to your wish."

"Oh." He opened his eyes. "What's the point. I already lost the bet. You won."

"I still want to grant your wish."

"Forget it. You've done so much already don't you think."

If I insist, I realized we might have a fight in the cap so I let it be. Ammar had become very sensitive lately and I know it's all thanks to me.

#######

Xieykhalil