Chapter 4

After practice today I spent the afternoon pondering the idea of going to the game or not. Yes he didn't go to mine, I hate breaking promises. "Mads are you gonna go to the game?" Syd asked as she got ready. "Yeah." I pulled myself out of bed and got ready. I pulled on my ripped skinny jeans with my red Kane jersey and white converse and I threw my hair up in a messy bun. "Jonny said he's here to pick us up." "Alright." I grabbed my phone and purse and we went down to the lobby and saw Jonny waiting. "Maddie? Does Pat know you're coming?" "No." "I don't think that it's a good idea." "Why not?" "Um, I...um." "Jonny why shouldn't I go to the game?" "It's not my place to say." "Really?" "Yes." "I'm going to the game." He looked nervous but allowed me to go.

We got to the arena and went to the locker room. "Patrick Kane." I said and he looked at him and his face contorted with anger. "Why are you here?" Everyone was looking at us. "I'm sorry for supporting my brother." "funny joke, mom told us what you said." "What did I say?" "That you hate us, that you never wanted anything to do with us. That you want to leave and never come back." "I never said any of that." "Don't lie." "I'm not lying!" "Yes you are! Why would mom lie?" "You know what, don't believe me. I thought you cared, I thought you loved me but clearly I was wrong. You know family means everything to me, I would never say anything bad about any of you. That conversation mom told you about? She told me that I'd never amount to anything, that I will never become anything. Now I know that you obviously feel the same way. I'm so sick and tired of being told by everyone that I will never be enough, like I don't already know that. Everyday I work my ass off trying to prove to everyone that I can make it but it never enough for anyone. I thought you had my back but boy was I wrong. Look if you don't want to be in my life anymore tell me right now." "I don't want to be in your life anymore." "Then I'm gone, good luck." The team was shocked and I left the room with tears streaming down my face. I ran into someone and it was Tyler. "Maddie?" "I'm sorry." "Hey hey hey. What's wrong?" Just the thought of everything made a whole new round of tears start. Tyler pulled me into a hug. "Shhh it's okay. You're okay." "What's... Maddie?!" I knew it was Jamie and he came over and we hugged as well. "What happened? Who the hell do I need to beat up?" "No one Jamie." "Maddie please." "It was Pat, okay but please leave him alone." "Your brother?" "Yeah." "God you guys are like the same person, this obviously wasn't pretty." "No but I don't want to talk about it." "Are you going to stay for the game?" "No." "Please stay for us." Jamie begged. He looked at Tyler for help and he just gave me a puppy dog face and I smiled and agreed, "But I am not wearing this jersey anymore." "That's fine by us, I have an extra one." Tyler said so I agreed and went to their locker room with them. "Hey Maddie!" "Hey guys!" Tyler gave me the jersey and I quickly switched. The guys looked curious but didn't question anything which I was extremely grateful for. "I'll give you the jersey back after the game." "Alright." "Good luck." I kissed Tyler's cheek which made him smile. "Good luck everyone kick ass and please win." "No problem Maddie we gotcha." I left and went up to the box. Syd was in there with all the Chicago girlfriends. They all gave me the cold shoulder. I sat away from all of them and heard the whispers. "If you have something to say, say it to my face." I snapped. "Why are you even here?" "Because I'm supporting my brother whether he cares or not, and I happen to be good friends with the Stars." "Traitor." "Call me what you want. Oh and Sydney, I thought you were my friend." After that I ignore them and watched the game.

The Stars pulled off a huge 6-1 win and I couldn't stop smiling. Jamie and Tyler both scored and Eaves had a hat trick in the first period and Sharpie had a goal as well. I went down to the locker room and I had Tyler's jersey for him. They all came back in from the ice. "This is yours." "Thank you beautiful." I smiled. "You had an amazing game." "Why thank you I try." I laughed lightly. "I have to get back to the hotel, I'll see you back in Dallas." "Alright sounds good. But first." Next thing I know his lips are on my and I kissed back, it was like the movies were fireworks go off. "Good night Tyler." "Goodnight Maddie." I left with a smile and walked to the hotel and went up to the room and put my pajamas on and went to sleep.

The next game, this is our last game here in Chicago. The whistle blew and we got things underway. "Sydney!" I screamed for the cross and she kept the ball and we lost it to the other team. I groaned and ran back while she walked.

About 70 minutes in and coach still hasn't taken Sydney out of the game. She literally hasn't done anything and she refuses to pass me the ball. I got the ball and started going towards goal and the defender slides in and hooks her foot which twisted my knee and I felt a pop and then I landed on the same knee and screamed in pain. The ref immediately blew the whistle and the trainer ran out. "Don't move it please." "Maddie I have to check it." "It hurts." "I know." He turned me into my back and tried to straighten my knee and I screamed in pain. "Alright well there is definitely something wrong." The other trainer came out and they both helped me up and acted like crutches. Coach came over. "What is it?" "Knee." "Same one?" He asked looking at me. "Yeah." "Alright well go take care of it." We went to the locker room and they started to check it but it hurt so bad. "Please stop." I begged since the pain kept increasing and I started to feel sick. "Deep breaths Maddie. Do you want to go to the hospital now or in Dallas." "Dallas." They nodded and wrapped my knee and found crutches for me to use and I went back out to sit and watch the game. The trainer explained the situation to coach who then came over to me. "Is it bad you think?" "Yeah." "Alright. Please take it easy until we get home." "I will." After the game I carefully got changed and my phone rang. "Hello?" "Hey bug." "Pat?" "Yeah." "What do you need?" "You hurt your knee didn't you?" "Umm yeah." "Yeah so thank you for the excruciating pain in my own knee." We both laughed lightly. "But honestly know are you okay?" "No, I'm gonna have it looked at back in Dallas." "Alright and I'm sorry for everything I never meant anything I said." "I forgive you." "What?" "Look Pat it's one fight sure it was bad but it's not worth dwelling on." "Thank you, I heard you stayed for the whole game still." "Yeah despite everyone else not wanted me there I still wanted to be there for you and you were playing my boys." "Your boys? Really?" "Yup." He just laughed. "I'll call you when I get home and go to the doctor." "Alright sounds good love ya bug." "Love ya too Pat." I hung up and we all went to the bus and went to the airport to go home. I texted Tyler on the bus asking if he'd pick me up and he said he would. "Coach?" "Yeah?" "I'm staying with a friend in Dallas to get my knee looked at and stuff." "Alright have the doctor forward us everything." "I will."