12 | Counting Stars

Opening the front door, Kaylee sauntered in like it was her own home, kicking her white Vans to the side before her covered feet thumped against the wooden floor as she headed for the living room with me on tail.

"Have you texted him yet?" She asked, flopping on the couch before stretching over to take the bowl of chips I had prepared for her hungry self.

I hummed, taking a seat beside her "Not yet".

"Agh, text him already- or even call him, I don't care, just say something, I bet he's on the edge right now, staring at his phone, waiting for the love of his life to show some sign that she's actually still alive" she said sarcastically, before rolling her eyes.

"But why would I be texting him in the first place? And what should I say?"

"Are you in first grade?" She gave me a flat look, and I frowned, moving my legs from the floor and up on the couch, hugging them to my chest.

"But why not wait for him to text me?"

"He doesn't have your new number, idiot" Kaylee snapped, "you know what, give me your phone". My eyes widened at her outstretched hand, shaking my head slowly, and she gave me a warning look.

Moving to snatch it from me, I backed away even further into the couch, "okay okay, I'll do it, just give me a minute, you crazy woman" I scowled at her, holding my new phone to my chest protectively.

"Now" she demanded.

"Okay," I grumbled, before unlocking my phone and opening a new text, pursing my lips. I had no idea what to send him. I could ask him how he was doing, but knowing Ethan, he would probably give short answers that wouldn't help to keep up the conversation.

So, biting on my bottom lip nervously, my fingertips began moving across my phone screen, typing something in before pausing to look at what I typed.

"What do you think?" I asked, turning the phone to Kaylee but she just shooed me away as she watched 2 Broke Girls playing on TV, motioning at me to read it aloud.

"Hey, it's Camilla, how are you doing? What are you-" the phone was snatched from me before I could even finish, and I frowned at Kaylee,

"What now?" Ignoring me like I was just some vase sitting in the corner of the room, she started typing in my phone and I waited in fear of whatever she was going to do.

Handing me the phone casually with her eyes trained on the television, I hesitatingly took it from her, before looking at what she had already sent,

Up for ice cream?

Cam (:

My eyebrows raised in surprise. That's it? No kissing emojis or pick up lines?

"Don't look too dumbstruck, he'll think you've gone crazy if you sent him a kissing emoji. A smile is good enough, it shows who you are" she shrugged nonchalantly.

"But what about you?" I asked, now sad that she had to leave when she just arrived, although Ethan hasn't accepted the offer yet.

"What about me? I'm having the whole house for myself, I might even have a little party or something, you know, chill a little bit" she said before munching on another handful of chips.

Typical Kaylee.

A ding sounded from my phone after five minutes and I unlocked it, opening Ethan's text.