03

CHAPTER THREE

The next morning, Luna woke up at nine. She quickly took a shower, then blow drying her hair. She wore blue jeans, a black long sleeve, and her black PF Flyers that Benny got for her for her birthday. She grabbed her glove from downstairs and kissed her mother goodbye, grabbing a granola bar before running straight to the Sandlot. All the boys were there, playing ball. They turned their head towards Luna who walked up to home base.

"You're late." Ham stated.

"De verdad? I thought I was early." Luna sarcastically said. (really?)

"It's okay, duchess. Just try to be here earlier." Benny said.

"Will do." She smiled taking the bat from him.

Benny threw the ball towards DeNunez. He caught it, practicing some throws as Luna practiced a few swings. "Ready, duchess?"

"Always." She replied. He threw the ball and she swung her bat, easily hitting. She saw a boy in the outfield, his back towards them. It was coming straight at him but he didn't know.

"Watch out!" Ham yelled behind Luna. All the sandlot boys then started to shout at him in the outfield. He turned around, spotting the ball coming at him. He tried to catch it but failed miserably and fell on his butt. The sandlot boys started to burst into laughter, falling to the ground as they clutched their stomachs. All except Benny. And of course, Luna, but she was no boy. The boy got up and walked to the ball. He grabbed it and ran back towards the spot he was before.

"We are waiting!" Squints yelled. They stopped laughing as they waited for the unknown boy to throw the ball. The boy threw his arm back before launching it forward. The ball fell out of his hand a few feet in front of him. That's when the sandlot boys cracked. They laughed harder then before. Luna and Benny shook their heads at the boys they call best friends, as the unknown boy ran out of the Sandlot.

"Oye, shut up! Let's get back to the game!" Luna shouted, shutting up the boys as they scrambled to their positions. (hey)

Luna, her parents, and her baby sister were sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast. They laughed when Lana, Luna's baby sister, smeared syrup all over her fathers face. She heard a knock on the door. She got up from her seat and swung open the door to see Benny grinned at her from the other side of the door. "Ready?"

"Yeah." She grabbed quickly grabbed her glove from inside of the house. "Mamá, me voy fuera!"
(Mom, I'm going outside!)

"Divertirse, amor!" Her mom yelled back. (Have fun, sweetheart!)

Luna walked out of her house, latching arms with Benny. "Do you guys always talk to each other in Spanish?"

"Yeah. Don't they do that at your house?" Luna asked.

"Hardly." He replied.

She went to turn right at the corner towards the Sandlot but Benny pulled her arm in the other direction. "Qué? The Sandlot is this way, what are you doing?" (what?)

"I know. I just have to do something first." Benny replied. He grabbed Luna's waist, ushering her forward. She suddenly felt a little tingle where his hands touched her. She didn't know why she felt like that but she suppressed that feeling, focusing on what was happening.