Chapter Two

Emma's P.O.V

  Creeeaaakk. Moan.
  My matress was apparently very annoyed that I couldn't sleep. I rolled over for possibly the twentieth time that night. I just kept thinking.
  Thinking about what?
  Well, I don't know.
  Harry, summer, ice cream, my birthday that's tomorrow, ice cream, mattresses, school, ice cream, and ice cream. Have I mentioned ice cream?
  I sighed and reluctantly left the comfort of my bed, to venture downstairs on the cold floor. I tip-toed quietly, trying not to wake anyone. When I got to the last step, it make an extremely loud creaking noise. I cringed, straining my ears to make sure everyone was asleep. I heard Hermione stir, but then all was quiet again and I let out a deep breath. That was close.
  I opened the freezer and took out a gallon of Cookies and Cream ice cream. Mmmmm. My favourite. (A/N Comment your favourite ice cream flavour!) I got out and extra large bowl and started digging in to the ice cream, which, news flash, was extremely hard!
  "Oh screw it." I muttered, as I dumped all of it back into the carton, and just took the whole thing. Carton instead of bowl; scooper instead of spoon.
  I had just devoured half a gallon of ice cream, when there was a huge bang at the door. I froze, ice cream falling out of my mouth, ice cream scooper suspended, mid-scoop. Then, suddenly, the door was bashed in. A bedraggled man, wearing torn clothes, and looking mental, came busting in. I gulped. 
  "Um, hi?" I asked. Then our alarm system went crazy, calling the cops, and the man glanced over at me. Then, quick as a wink, he lunged and grabbed me. I screamed on the top of my lungs, as I was taught, but to no avail. He took me and ran into the night.

Hermione's P.O.V

  "Aaaahhhhh!" I heard a blood-curdling scream from downstairs. I quickly sat up and looked over at Emma's bed. It was empty and the sheets were tangled together. I gasped and ran out of the room and across the hall, to my parents room.
  Then the alarm system went crazy as the police arrived at our house.
  I didn't sleep at all the rest of the night.
  Emma was gone.
  Kidnapped.
  She was my best friend. Oh no. What about Harry?

(That morning) Harry's P.O.V

  I walked over to the Grangers' house, carrying my gift for Emma's birthday. She was going to love it. I had gotten her a silver locket, with a picture of me, Hermione, and her in it.
  As I arrived, I could tell something was wrong. Mr and Mrs Granger were outside talking to police officers, still in their pyjamas.
  When I approached the front door, I noticed that it was bashed in, and was now on the floor. I carefully walked around the door, and took in the house. Everything looked normal, except the puddle of melted ice cream on the counter.
  I then saw Hermione standing there, in a t-shirt and sweat pants, her hair a mess, starting into space sadly. I waved my hand in front of her face. She blinked, but didn't break her trance. I sighed. I set the box with Emma's present in it down, and shook her. She blinked and shook her head, looking confused, like she'd just realised something. 
   "Hello? Hermione, what happened? Where's Emma?" I asked worriedly. She finally glanced up. The look she gave me was pure pity and sorrow.
   "Harry-" she started, her voice cracking. She took a deep breath.
   "Harry, last night some one broke into our house and Emma was downstairs when he came. He kidnapped her." Then she started sobbing uncontrollably, grabbing a box of tissues.
  I awkwardly hugged her, as I thought it over. I couldn't grasp the idea, it was unbelievable.
All I could say was, "Oh.", as I left, feeling in a daze for the rest of the day.

                                                                          ****
Almost two years later... (when Emma is almost thirteen)

  "TO THE BASEMENT! Now." My abusive foster mother shrieked. I quickly obeyed, reluctantly and slowly walking down the old stairs. She gave me a small stab in the back to move faster. I flew down the stairs after that and backed against a wall.
  She quickly began punching and slapping me, as I screamed, and eventually, passed out.
   When I regained sense, I heard her screaming to someone up the stairs. I began to wonder, not for the first time either, if it was worth running away from that kidnapper, just to end up here. I wondered which was worse.
  Nevertheless I dragged my cut and bruised body up the steps. When I got there, I was surprised to see an old man with a floor-length white beard, standing there, taking to my foster mother. She seemed fed up.
  "FINE! SHE CAN GO TO THIS CRACK POT SCHOOL, AS LONG AS I NEVER HAVE TO SEE HER AGAIN!" And with that, she shoved both of us out of the door and slammed it. I turned to the old man.
  "Well she's pleasant." He said, turning towards me. I burst our laughing.
  "Who are you?" I asked curiously.
  "Professor Albus Percival Brian Wulfric Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry." I blinked.
  "Okay." I shrugged. He seemed surprised, but mumbled, 'just like her father,'. I smirked.
  "Well, Miss Black, you are a witch, and you will be attending Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You will be going into your third year, though you will be one of the youngest, as we have not been able to locate you until now, you see, most witches and wizards start when they're eleven. I have your list of supplies, and money. We will now as apparate to Diagon Alley, where you will collect all of your supplies. Okay? Make sense?" I nodded stupidly, still trying to take it all in. I was a witch. Me. "Wonderful."Dumbledore took my arm and we 'apparated' whatever that is.
  As I gagged on my hands and knees, I noticed we weren't in my sketchy neighbourhood anymore. We were in Diagon Alley. And it was amazing. I gasped, twirling around to see everything. Dumbledore explained that he would get my robes and books and whatnot, while I got my wand and pet. I eagerly agreed.
  As I walked into Ollivander's, he snuck up behind me. I screamed and jumped back. He was creepy.
  "I've been expecting you, Miss Black." Okay, tell me it's not creepy that some old man knows your name...yet you've never met him!
  "Oh, um, hi! I'm here for my wand." I said slowly. Hey, you never know if they're mental or not.
  "Well, of course." He replied in a 'duh' tone, hustling off to find a wand. 
  "Sorry." I mumbled a bit rudely. He came back with an armful of boxes, each containing a wand.
  "Try this. Oak and unicorn hair, 10 ¹/² inches, firm." I waved it, causing the lamp beside his desk to break. I hastily dropped it as he handed me another.
  "I wonder... Ash and phoenix feather, 11 inches, flexible." I flicked it cautiously, and it emitted purple sparks. He nodded satisfied.
  "That's an immensely powerful wand, and it only has two brothers. Use it wisely. That'll be 17 galleons," he said. I grabbed a handful of random coins and handed them to him.
  "Thank you."
  Now I was going to get a pet. Yay!
  I entered the Magical Menagerie cautiously, hoping that this person wasn't a nutcase as well. She wasn't. I wandered around, I couldn't decide between a cat or an owl.
  I ended up getting a cat. She was completely black, with shocking green eyes, and a bobtail. I named her Mischief. After I paid for her, I met up with Dumbledore again.
  He apparated us to Kings Cross station, gave me my ticket, and told me how to get on the train. I was going to Hogwarts!