Chapter Four

Emma's P.O.V
After the dramatic dementor incident, which resulted in Harry fainting; my uncontrollable shaking and voices of my past; Ron's repeating, "What the bloody hell was that?"; and Hermione's eye-rolling at Ron, we finally got there.
Hagrid, along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione,  tried to tell me that I'm supposed to go with the first years, but I stubbornly refused. I did, however, meet up with the first years once they had entered the Great Hall.
Professor McGonagall took out a roll of parchment.
"Cameron, Lucy," a pretty blonde girl walked confidently up to the stool and sat down as the hat was placed on her head. Within seconds it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!"
The sorting went on like that for about ten minutes, and then, *gulp*, I was called.
"Black, Emma!" The whole Hall went silent and then broke out in whispers.
"Do you think she's Sirius Black's daughter?"
"What if she helps him into the castle?"
"I'm going to stay away from her."
  "I might ask my parents to take me out of school, now!"
I looked at the ground as I walked slowly, but deliberately towards the old hat. McGonagall put put the hat on me and I gasped as it started talking.
"Ah, a Black, no? Let's see... You seem to have your fathers mischievous side, that's a Gryffindor talent. Oh, but your mothers knowledge, That's a Ravenclaw quality. But what's this? Ambitious, much like your ancestors. But no, you belong where your father was. Better be, GRYFFINDOR!" The hat yelled suddenly, causing me to jump. Everyone laughed at me, as I walked over to the Gryffindor table.
My face was flushed and I stared at the ground as I walked and sat down quietly next to Harry. He smiled and immediately started talking.
"Wow, Em, I was worried that you wouldn't get into Gryffindor!" He laughed.
"Um, yea." I agreed and nervously gave a halfhearted giggle. He looked at me strangely, then shrugged his shoulders and smiled.
"You should eat, really. I can't even imagine how you've been treated for the past two years." He said, piling huge mounds of food on my plate. I wrinkled my nose, and pushed the plate away.
"Um, it hasn't been two years." I replied, even though it was a rhetorical question. He looked at me.
"When's your birthday, again?"
September 10th. But, Harry, I truly hate my birthday." He looked confused.
"Why?" He didn't remember. *sigh*
"Oh! Um, no reason..." I trailed off, glancing sideways at Hermione, who had been listening to our conversation intently. Ron was pigging out on food, still completely oblivious. Hermione grabbed Harry's sleeve, forcing him to come closer, so she could whisper something. When she let go of his robes, he looked mortified. I stared picking at my food, knowing what was coming next. Harry grabbed my arm.
"Em, I'm so sorry, I completely forgot, I-I'm really sorry." He said quickly. I took a deep breath and smiled a smile that didn't reach my eyes.
"It's fine. Really. It's been almost two years, I understand." He looked unconvinced, but he nevertheless dropped it.
Gradually, the food disappeared, and we were instructed to follow the prefects to our dormitories.
But, of course, Malfoy. He drifted away from Slytherin and pulled me aside.
"Black, I want you to wait until midnight, and meet me here. Remember our deal." He smirked, knowing I would have no choice. I took a deep breath.
"Okay." The words stung in my throat, but I walked away, planning on coming back at midnight.
When I got to the 3rd year, girls dormitory, I avoided eye contact, went into the bathroom, got ready for bed, and closed the curtains around my bed. I glanced at my watch. Nine o'clock. This was going to be a longgggg night. I attempted to read book for an hour, but failed. I ended up dozing off, and, when I woke up it was twelve.
I gave small gasp and sat up quickly. I brushed my teeth and hair, (what? I care what people think...even if they are platinum blonde jerks.) I did a quick double-check to make sure that everyone in my dorm was asleep, before sneaking out to the entrance of the Great Hall, where Malfoy and his goons were waiting, right on time.
"Well," I said, "Here I am." He gave me an evil smirk that sent chills down my spine. Either it was his smirk, or I have a fever.
"W-," I took a deep breath. "What are you going to do to me?" My voice was shaking, but I looked him straight in the eye. His already huge smirk, got even bigger.
"You'll see." He took out his wand, and stood up, twirling it between his fingers.
"We'll take turns." He said, looking between Crabbe and Goyle. First, they put a spell on my mouth so no one could hear me scream. Then he pointed his wand at me.
"Crucio." I fell to the ground, writhing and screaming, though not a soul could hear me. Tears were running down my face, but he didn't stop. In fact, he seemed to get pleasure from watching my pain. I thought I was going to die, but finally, finally it stopped. Sadly, as soon as it stopped, Goyle's turn started. He ditched his wand and pulled out...a knife.
All the colour drained from my face, and I went unconscious. I woke up to Malfoy, kicking me in the side. I yelped, but he put a hand over my mouth.
"Shut up! Now, go to your dorm and don't mention this to anyone, or, I swear, I will kill you." He said and shoved me away. I nodded feebly and stood up. I almost screamed in pain. But I remembered, I can't wake anyone. So I just leant on the walls on the painful walk upstairs.
When I got to my dorm, I immediately went to the bathroom and took a hot shower. After my shower, I looked at myself in the full-length mirror, assessing the situation.
My right wrist was broken, I had a deep gash, about 4 inches long, down my side that was bleeding like crazy, I had bruise marks on my arms, cuts everywhere, and a huge, bloody scratch down my cheek. I magically fixed all the cuts, except the one on my cheek. That one was too deep to fix. I magically put stitches in the cut down my side, and wrapped my wrist, (I don't like magically fixing bones, it scares me.) As for the bruises, there was no spell I knew that could make them disappear, so they would have to be covered.
I then looked at my watch again. Six o'clock. I might as well get ready now, breakfast will be in an hour.
I put on my robes, making sure they covered everything. The only things you could see, were the cut on my face, and part of the bandage on my wrist. I did my hair in a cute, curly, messy bun, and put on some mascara. Then I went down to breakfast.
I sat down and picked at some bacon. Harry came in, shortly after, and sat down next to me.
"Good morning." He said cheerfully.
"Good morning." I replied, turning to face him. He did a double take.
"Oh. My. Gosh. Emma, how did that happen?!" He asked, reaching out to trace the long cut in my face. I dropped my head down.
"I-I um, last night, I went downstairs to, uh, get some water, and I fell down the stairs?" I kind of asked, instead of saying it. I'm a bad liar, in case you couldn't tell. He looked at me in...amusement?
"Why would you lie to me?" He sounded hurt. "Spill it."

Harry's P.O.V
We were always best friends, what changed? Why does she not tell me things anymore? When did she get to pretty? Oops don't tell anyone I said that!