Chapter Nineteen

It was now the second day of school at supper time, and apparently I had missed a huge show from the other two magical schools that are staying with us this year. Everyone's exited to see what names are in the Goblet. Frankly, I hope it's no one I know because it sounds like someone is going to die. And that freaks me out. "Quiet!" Dumbledore roared suddenly, snapping me out of my daydream. I had tuned out his other spiel on the fundamentals of entering and blah blah blah I only payed attention to the part where someone I love could DIE. Oops he's picking up a piece of paper now. I held my breath. "Viktor Krum, from the Durmstrang institute." Okay, I don't know him. "Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic." Don't know who she is either, except Ron is in love with her. "And lastly," Dumbledore started. I held my breath anxiously. "Cedric Diggory from Hogwarts." I let myself relax. No one that I was close to. I could sleep easier now, at least. As Dumbledore turned away from the cup and began explaining what the tournament would consist of, the fire in the Goblet stirred again, and spit out another paper. I was so curious I forgot to be anxious as Dumbledore unfolded the paper and read it aloud. "Harry Potter." I misheard him. "Harry Potter!" He yelled again, and Hermione forced Harry to stand up. I was dreaming. This wasn't happening. It wasn't. It was when people started whispering that I really realized. Holy freaking crap Harry Potter, my best friend in the whole entire universe is competing in Tournament where he has like five disadvantages and he could die. That's when I got that feeling like my stomach just dropped out of me and I felt like I was going to throw up out of dread. I stood up on legs that were shaking like jello and ran out of the great hall to moaning myrtles bathroom. I threw up in one of the cubicles twice. "Why did this happen? How does this happen? I DONT WANT HIM TO DIE!" I yelled and kicked the wall before breaking down on the floor. "I don't want him to die." I whispered. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. It opened slowly and I looked up. It was Malfoy. I scrambled to get up and get my wand, pointing it at him. I probably didn't look very intimidating, though, my hand was shaking and there were tear tracks all down my face. "What do you want?" I asked, my voice cracking. "What's wrong?" He asked. I lowered my wand slowly. "Why should I tell you? You nearly killed me." I whispered. "Your right," he said. "And I regret it. I didn't want to, really I didn't, it was my father. He forced me." This time it was his turn to have a voice crack. "Oh." I said. "What's wrong, Emma, your my cousin, I want to know you better." Was I delusional or was Malfoy actually being nice??? "I-I just," I started nervously. "I'm really scared, for Harry and the other contestants. People can get killed! It's not right! They shouldn't be allowed to do this, ever! Not at all, mark my words, someone is going to die and it's going to be someone that somebody loves all for a stupid competition?" I sank down to the ground. "I guess I just feel depressed." Draco hugged me while I cried. "It's okay," He said. "It'll be okay." I still tensed when he touched me, out of fear, but he never hurt me. Malfoy was actually really easy to talk to, and we talked for about an hour before I had to leave, but we agreed to meet again. "Thank you," I said, standing up. "That actually helped a lot." He looked at me. "Your family." Is all he said, smiling at little. I nodded and walked all the way back to the common room and curled up on the couch, just wanting to go to sleep, but of course that could never happen. Hermione and Ron came up to me, Harry was standing off to the side looking awkwardly at Ron. "Where were you? What happened to you?!" Hermione and Ron asked. "Yeah, Emma, why do you look like you were crying?" Harry added. I stood up and started to walk away. "Doesn't matter." I said. "Yes, it does." They replied, following me. I had just had it. They were getting under my skin. "Will you all just leave me alone, please?" I half yelled half sobbed, and ran out of the common room into the nearest broom cupboard and locked it. I sat in there for the rest of the night, crying. I just couldn't understand. I have a lot of friends that care about me, but I've never felt more alone.