Chapter Seven - The Plan

Meanwhile in Cash's Territory...
Copperhead felt her fur prickle with nervousness as she neared Cash's alley. "Oh no, Cash is gonna kill me! And if he doesn't, I know Angel will!" The Pitbull-Greyhound mix thought. She walked into the alley with her tawny head lowered. Cash was sitting in his recliner, or "throne" as he would call it. Copperhead sensed his gaze, "Copperhead, you've returned so soon..." Cash grumbled, seeming disgruntled.

"Cash I-" Copperhead could barely begin before Cash butted in.

"And where's Night?"

"Well, he-"

"And did you let Fawn escape?!"

"I just-"

"I can't believe this, Copperhead. You failed me..." Cash growled.
Copperhead averted her eyes, yet she could feel Cash's glare burning into her, "Cash, I can explain..." she began.

"This better be good," he snapped.

"Well, we were gaining on her, b-but she ran out into the s-street and... and..." Copperhead sniffed, feeling her nerves beginning to grow. She had to lie, or else Cash would rip her to pieces, "Fawn murdered Night!" Copperhead cried, then she sadly sat down. The whole pack, who was gathered behind Cash, gasped in shock. Cash's eyes widened, but the surprise was short lived.

The Doberman mix jumped off the chair and stalked up to the whimpering female, eyes narrowed, "I-I swear Cash, it was all Fawn's plan! She... she ran across the street, and Night followed her, a-and I couldn't get there in time b-because I would get hit! Once Night was isolated, Fawn whipped around and... and killed him!" Copperhead gulped, meeting eyes with her enraged leader.

     Suddenly, a loud bark was heard from the crowd of dogs. A beautiful, white fluffy dog pushed her way through the crowd and stepped up next to Cash. Her white coat illuminated in the darkness, and brought out her dark eyes and black nose.

"Fantastic. Angel's here..." The white dog's eyes were filled with grief, and her ears flattened, "Cash..." she started.

"What is it, Beta?"

"We have to get revenge!" she exclaimed, fur bristling. Copperhead let out a sigh of relief. Cash wasn't going to kill her after all, "Angel, maybe we should-" Cash said slowly, but Angel interrupted, a dangerous thing to do with Cash.

"No! I am avenging my mate! He hasn't seen our pups yet and I will not let Fawn get away with that!" she howled. "Angel's expecting?!" Copperhead thought as she listened to the mourning dog. Cash sighed, then nodded, "Ya know, you're right, Angel. We have to take revenge," he proceeded to bark to the rest of the pack, "It has come to my attention that one of our loyal pack members, Night, has been viciously murdered. Tonight, we will mourn his loss, and we will never forget him. However, we can not stay in grief forever! We must rise together, and take revenge on his killer, Fawn. And we'll destroy her pack, too!" he howled, and the response he got was exactly what Copperhead expected. The pack howled and bayed together, agreeing with their leader. Copperhead noticed that Cash's voice has changed dramatically with an improved vocabulary and speech.

Cash walked over to his blue recliner and pulled a wooden lever on the side of it. The chair was laid back slightly and outstretched with a squeak. The male leapt onto his throne as the dogs gathered around him, prepared to listen, "But how exactly to we plot our revenge, hm?" he asked them, ears twitching slightly. A Finnish Spitz yapped from the crowd, "We could get a spy! Then, at night, the spy could return and tell us when the pack is at it's weakest!" Cash pondered the idea, and then his face lit up, "Excellent idea, Thorn! But... who can spy and not look suspicious?"

"I know..." Angel replied slowly, almost reluctantly, "but you must promise me, Cash, that this will work. One hundred percent."

"Absolutely, my loyal Beta. Who do you suppose could work for us?"

"When they are old enough... I will let one of my pups join their pack to spy," Angel sighed. A hum of whispers and gasps rose in the alley. Copperhead's eyes widened in disbelief. Angel, of all dogs, would sacrifice one of her pups to avenge Night? Was she really in that much grief? Even Cash seemed stunned, yet he still nodded in agreement, "You know what you're doing, Angel. I trust that your plan will work, because I know Ace has a soft spot for puppies," the male woofed, then turned to his pack, "Well, it's settled. Angel will let one of her pups spy and-" Cash was interrupted by a booming bark.

     "Wait just a second Cash!" A silver Pitbull stalked through the crowd and propped her front paws up onto Cash's recliner, meeting him nose-to-nose, "Why should we let a puppy do all the dirty work? What if they actually learn to like Ace's pack? Why can't we just go in and kill em' all? We're much stronger!" The female said.

"Because, Dusty. This is about revenge! We need them off guard," Cash replied, then Dusty nodded and put her paws off the chair, "and when it comes to making sure that pup is loyal to us, and only us, don't worry. Leave that job to me," he chuckled, then called to his Beta.

"Angel, when are your pups going to arrive?"

"In a month, Cash."

"And how many are you having?"

"I think three," Angel smiled.

"Fantastic, absolutely fantastic... well in that case let's all get some rest. All of you are dismissed!" The pack started to disperse, so Copperhead began to turn around to find a spot to sleep. But not until Cash caught up with her and blocked her, "Except you," he leaned in and whispered into her ear, "we're not done yet. When the time comes, when we meet Fawn and that pack, I want you to kill as many dogs as possible. Prove to me. Or else," his last words sent a shiver down her spine as he walked away.