Chapter Sixteen - The Pup

"C'mon, Marley. I know you can do this!" Fawn encouraged the large, tawny male.

"You know I'm not a fighter! I hate fighting!" Marley sighed, avoiding eye contact.

"It's been nearly three months! I know you've learned almost everything there is to learn, you just have to put it into action. You will not hurt me," Fawn replied.

"Okay, let's start again," with that, the massive brute leapt at her. Despite his colossal size, Marley was extremely gentle and kind, and occasionally skittish. He could care less about hurting other dogs, yet once he learned about Cash's ways, he promised he would train extra hard in case if he ever met him. But, so far, Cash hasn't been an issue. Ace and the pack had made a home in the alley by the restaurants, so the pack was doing very well on food. Life was good, and the thought of Cash was fading in Fawn's mind, "Umph!" Fawn was pinned to the ground by Marley, who released his grip instantly.

"Are you okay?" He worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine!" Fawn woofed, getting up, "that was great, Marley. But when you pin someone, keep them down."

"Alright," he answered, yet instead of getting back into a fighting stance, his nose went into the air and his black ears perked up.

"Marley? Is something wrong?" Fawn questioned.

"I smell something... no, someone," he began to walk after the scent.

"Hmm..." Fawn sniffed the air as well, and then gulped nervously when she caught the smell, "perhaps we shouldn't go that way..." but he was already out of the alley and down the street. None of the others were in the alley, they were training elsewhere, "Marley, wait up!" Fawn called. She sprinted after him and leapt in front of him, halting the male.

"What's wrong, Fawn?" Marley inquired.

"I don't trust that scent..."

"Why not? Do you recognize it?" He asked.

"Yes, it smells of Cash's pack," Fawn responded, fear tightening her chest and twisting her stomach.

"Well, shouldn't we investigate? I only smell one dog."

"Hm, since it's one dog, I suppose there's no danger in checking," Fawn agreed.

"Good, then let's get going," Marley led the way. They walked down the grey path, the smell growing stronger. As they were padding along, a small, white ball of fluff appeared from behind a corner ahead of them. She seemed to be three months of age, her hears were tall, yet not fully developed, allowing them to flop around with each step. Her eyes seemed to be glued to the ground as she walked forward, and her tail was low. Fawn and Marley paused and glanced at one another, "Do you think she's lost?" Marley asked.

"There's only one way to find out. Let's go," she said, so the two walked up to the young one, who remained oblivious to their presence.

"Hello, little one. Are you lost?" Fawn asked softly. The pup jerked her head up with a gasp, and froze. Her eyes were wide and her white legs trembled under her, "It's okay. We won't hurt you," Fawn soothed.

"Um..." The pup gulped before backing away slowly.

"Are you lost?" Fawn repeated her question.

"I... I don't kn-know..." she stammered, sadness filling her tone, "they kicked me out."

"Who kicked you out?" Marley asked, tilting his head with concern.

"M-my pack did," she sniffed, "I t-tried to run back to Mommy, b-but they chased me out. Th-they said go find F-Fawn..." the white female began to break down, whimpering and hanging her head.

"It's okay..." Marley whispered with a surprising, maternal voice. He walked over to the pup, who leaned against one of his tall legs and whined, "I miss her!" Fawn watched in awe as the giant dog murmured inaudible words to the pup, which seemed to calm her. The pup let out a sigh and stared up at Marley with innocent eyes. The Pharaoh Hound tilted her head in thought, then ordered Marley, "Marley, bring her back to the alley. I'll get the others," the male nodded in response.

"I'll be back soon," Fawn gave the little pup one last look before sprinting off into the afternoon. Her tan legs became a blur as she dodged people that crowded the sidewalk. After only a few minutes of running, Fawn caught up to April, Finn, Cody, Captain, and Paisley, who were walking in a patrol around the territory. April noticed Fawn panting and running up to them, therefore stopping the other dogs within the patrol, "Fawn! Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine but..." Fawn inhaled, regaining herself, "Marley and I found a pup. She smells of Cash's pack, but they kicked her out because they wanted her to find me..." she explained.

"That's odd..." Cody commented.

"I agree," Finn said.

"I know, I thought it was strange, too. But, that doesn't matter right now. Where's the rest of the pack?" Fawn asked.

"They went ahead. They should be back at the alley by evening," April answered.

"Well, could you guys come back? We need to get as much information from this pup as possible, I feel like Cash is up to something."

"You're right," April agreed, "lead the way," Fawn gave a quick nod before tearing back down the sidewalk with the four packmates behind her. Finally, after what felt like millions of years, they returned to their home, where Marley had seated himself next to the pup. They were quietly chatting, and the pup glanced to Fawn's packmates. She stood up, clearly startled, "You're alright," April cooed.

"W-who are you..." The white pup whimpered nervously.

"I am April, the Beta of this pack. And these dogs are Finn, Cody, Captain, and Paisley. And that is Fawn," April pointed her muzzle to the tan female. The pup gasped and backed away from all of the dogs, "F-Fawn?! Cash said y-you were evil!" she cried, crouching down in horror.

"She's not evil," Paisley gave a smile, "Fawn is the nicest dog ever!" Paisley took a few steps closer to the pup, yet the young one's reaction was a small growl.

"No! He said to never believe you. He said you were a liar!"

"Cash is the one who is lying, dear. He is the evil one..." April's attempt to persuade the little one failed.

"He told me what you did..." the white pup bared her teeth and snarled at Fawn, her feathery fur bristling.

"What did he say?" Fawn asked her calmly, thinking it would be some petty lie that would be simple to put to rest.

"You murdered my father."