Chapter Fourteen - Alone in the Pack

By dawn, Ace had woke everybody up to begin walking. He said there is an alley around here, along with a few restaurants they might be able to steal from. Fawn was walking at the back of the group, head hung low in shame for what happened last night. She could hear April murmuring to Ace about what happened. A few minutes passed by, and she felt a muzzle press her shoulder. April was walking next to her, "Ace told me what happened,"
she said, brown eyes soft.

"I... I didn't mean what I said, honest. I just got scared and-"

"It's okay," April soothed, "I understand. You should go and talk to him. Ace is very forgiving, trust me."

"Okay..." Fawn's courage filled her heart and she trotted up to Ace, "Hey,"
she greeted quietly.

"Hm," Ace mumbled, not bothering to look at her.

"Listen, I am really-"

"I thought you wanted to be alone," the male snapped, shooting an ice cold glare.

"I know, I just-"

"Which is totally fine. I know how loners are," he growled, catching Fawn off guard.

"Ace! I didn't mean it!" Fawn exclaimed, hurt and shock tainting her voice.

"It's cool. I knew you would snap sooner or later," he snarled, rounding on her to stop her in her tracks, "after all, loners don't belong in packs!" The pack gasped, and halted to watch the argument.

"Ace, I ask for your forgiveness!" Fawn pleaded.

"Why? Just so you can turn on me again, you ungrateful, self-centered lone dog?! No wonder Cash wants to kill you, you don't know when to shut up! I'm trying to help you, but-"

"Ace! Knock it off!" April howled, separating the two, "that is some pathetic leadership, if you ask me!" Ace widened his blue eyes, taken aback.

"Look at you! Poor Fawn is scared, and all you're doing is scaring her even more!" she snarled.

"I was trying to help her, but she decided to snap at me! That's no way to treat an Alpha!"

"That doesn't matter, Ace! You are trying to get her to safety! That's all that you need to worry about," April's eyes went warm again, and Ace sighed, glancing up at Fawn.

"Let's just do this, we can all go to the restaurant and get some food, then we can discuss this," Ace announced, then walked off. The pack exchanged glances before following him, with Fawn in the back once again. Her green eyes were glued to the ground, until she heard Buck growl quietly to her, "If you want, I can beat him up for you," he said, brotherly protection ringing in his voice.

"No, Buck... that will only make things worse," Fawn whimpered.

"But, the things he said to you! Can't you just fight back?"

"It's over. We will figure this out later," she responded. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Shelby and Finn hold back, then began to walk on the other side of Fawn. Finn spoke first, worry hanging in his tone, "Is he always like this?"

"No, this is the first time I've seen him angry..." Fawn replied.

"You two are close, huh?" Shelby inquired.

"I guess," Fawn sighed, her eyes fixed on the ground.

"He cares about you, you know that... right?" she said softly.

"He... he said that he would protect me," Fawn nearly regretted saying that, and in result her nose turned almost scarlet in embarrassment.

"Aww, you guys are too cute," Shelby giggled, "but in all seriousness, Finn and I can help you two get back together, if you like."

"You can?" Fawn's ears twitched and she lifted her head.

"Yeah, just let us do the talking," Finn gave a smirk.

"Should I trust you?" Fawn asked.

"If I screw up, you can bite me or whatever," Finn answered, "deal?"

"Deal."

So sorry for the short chapter. I'm just having writer's block issues. But I am determined to get through it!
~ Scarlet